Thank you for your interest in the Driveway Grant Program with Hampton Redevelopment & Housing Authority (The Authority) and the City of Hampton. This grant is for homeowners in Hampton that are affected by the “No Parking on Lawn” Ordinance. To confirm if you are impacted by or exempt from this ordinance, please go to www.hampton.gov/noparking or call 311 for assistance.
Your first step is to determine if you are affected by the city ordinance. If you are affected, the order of priority for this grant will be awarded based upon the following criteria:
1. Single family or duplex property owner where parking is not allowed in the front yard and are at or below 100% of Area Median Income limit. (See chart below)
2. Single family or duplex property owner who lives on a street where on-street parking is not allowed (one orboth sides) and are at or below 100% of Area Median Income limit. (See chart below)
3. Single family or duplex property owner or rental property where parking is not allowed in the front yard and are at or above 100% of Area Median Income limit. (See chart below)
4. Single family or duplex property owner or rental property who lives on a street where street parking is not allowed (one or both sides) and are at or above 100% of Area Median Income limit. (See chart below)
B. Maximum grant amount: $2,250 (based upon the estimated cost to install a gravel ribbon driveway). *PLEASE NOTE* DO NOT PROCEED TO HAVE ANY WORK DONE UNTIL YOU HAVE BEEN APPROVED FOR THE GRANT. Even with a submitted application, you are not guaranteed grant funds.
C. Up to an additional $2,500 may be granted if it is determined a driveway apron is required by City Code.
D. Grant application must be approved by the Authority prior to a homeowner entering into an agreement with a licensed contractor for the installation of the driveway.
E. Homeowner is required to find licensed contractor to complete the driveway installation pursuant to The City of Hampton Zoning Ordinance [section 1-34] and any manufacture specifications. City of Hampton requires Driveway Permits before installation can begin. Permits can be obtained at: Development Services Center 22 Lincoln Street 3rd floor Hampton, VA 23669 or https://hampton.gov/2370/Online-Permits-Inspections-Center
F. Homeowner must submit the following documents required for reimbursement after their apllication has been submitted and accepted
1. proof of payment in full or receipt
2. contract/quote/ itemized invoice
3. completed W9 by homeowner
G. Once documents for reimbursement have been submitted, the City of Hampton will inspect the driveway installation. It’s the homeowner’s responsibility to contact the City of Hampton for an inspection upon driveway completion.
H. Once Driveway completion has been verified and approved, the homeowner will be reimbursed by mail within 45 days.