Thankyou for your interest in applying for the Clarence Jazz Festival 2024 Scholarship! Before you fill out this form, please take a moment to read the following information.
2024 marks the 28th year that the Clarence City Council has produced the Clarence Jazz Festival, and the 14th year that it has supported the development of the next generation of musical talent through the Scholarship program.
The selection process for the scholarship takes place in 2 stages. Stage 1 is this application. If you are successful in this stage you will be invited to audition with a live rhythm section of professional musicians at the UTAS Hedburg Centre in front of a panel of Clarence Arts and Events staff and UTAS music faculty.
Previous scholars have gone on to forge extremely successful international and national careers in music, but we want to emphasise that non-successful applicants have also done so. We encourage you to apply; even if you're unsuccessful this time there is enourmous value in going through this process, and we will be available to offer feedback.
We've revamped the scholarship program, and in 2024 Clarence Jazz Festival Scholars will receive:
- 2 X masterclasses with the 2024 Clarence Jazz Festival Ambassador.
- 5 X one-on-one tuition sessions with a local jazz legend of your choosing
- 3 X intensive group workshops with jazz masters, developing skills in bandleading, performance and collaboration.
- 3 X Rhythm section sessions to develop your jazz festival performances.
- Feature performances at Clarence Swinging Christmas @ Rosny Farm (December 2023), Clarence Jazz Festival Opening event , Mainstage performance at the CJF Big Day and the Clarence Jazz Festival Closing Event.
- Opportunities to jam and collaborate with UTAS jazz students, your fellow scholars and other local and interstate artists accross the jazz festival.
- 2 X VIP passes to the entire Clarence Jazz Festival program.
- Mentorship from Katy Raucher and Clarence Arts and Events Staff, developing skills in stagecraft, improvisation techniques and network building.
Applicants are advised of the following timeline (subject to change with reasonable notice):
- 30th June 2023: Stage 1 Applications close.
- Early July 2023: Applicants notified of outcome.
- Mid July 2023: Stage 2 auditions held at UTAS Hedburg Centre.
- Late July 2023: 2024 CJF Scholars notified and announced
- August 2023: Scholarship sessions commence
- Last week of October 2023: First masterclass with Jazz Ambassador and CJF24 Program Launch Party
- Late November 2023: Swinging Christmas rehearsal
- Early December 2023: Swinging Christmas @ Rosny Farm performance
- January-February 2024: Masterclasses, rehearsals
- 28th February-3rd March: Clarence Jazz Festival 2024!
To be eligible to apply you must:
- Be between 14 and 25 years of age and activiely studying music (either at a high school, college or university level).
- Be available from the 28th February to the 3rd of March for appearances at the 2024 Jazz Festival. All other dates are negotiable with Clarence Arts and Events Staff.
- Be prepared to use email as the primary method of communication
- Be punctual and organised for all masterclasses, sessions, reherasals and performances.
- Be available for media appearances where sufficient notice is given.
- Liaise with your tutor and mentor to find mutually suitable times and dates for your tuition sessions.
If you've got any questions, or require help with any part of this application, please get in touch with Stevie or Bek on 6217 9620 during business hours.
Good luck with your application- we can't wait to hear from you!