Completing this application is a step in the process to acquire a ferret kit from Scarlett's Happy Dookers, but it does not guarantee you'll get a kit from this or any future litter. While it's unlikely, the breeder reserves the right to refuse any placement at any time.
Upon completion of this applicaion, you should get an email confirming receipt. At that time, your name will be added to my wait list for a current or a future litter.
I will not announce a litter until the kits are at least 3-4 days old and everything looks like it is going well. Once kits reach four-five weeks of age, I will contact you via e-mail and let you know options/choices, if any. If not heard back from you within 48 hours, you will lose your place on my waiting list and next person on my list will be contacted. Once choice made, a deposit of $50 needs to be made via PayPal or other arrangement withing 48 hours of the email. This is in consideration of all those on my waiting list that are patiently waiting and so the kits can get to their new home at youngest age for owner to enjoy the baby stage.
Please note, if you make a deposit, you are committing to take the kit. The deposit is non-refundable but at my descretion, may be transfered to another kit in another litter or future litter. I will do my best to match preferences.
Kits can be picked by their new families via photos online or if live close by, at the ferretry when the kits are approximately six weeks of age. Kits can go to their new homes at 56-70 days of age (8-10 weeks). Kits can not be held for extended times; it is critical for their social development that the litter departs within a reasonable timeframe.
I have a contract and will not place a kit without a signed contract. I believe it's the professional thing to do to memorialize our obligations to each other on paper so there are no questions later, and for that reason it's a bit lengthy. If you have questions about specific terms, you need to contact me prior to picking up your ferret.
You will receive a birth certificate, a pedigree, Medical sheet, an informational booklet and a zip bag of the dry kibble mixture they are currently eating. Please plan on at least an 1 1/2 hour of time at pick-up as we will go over the info booklet.
I require spay/neuter at or before 12 months. If considering a superlorin/Deslorin implant..we can discuss. If you're a breeder you should probably look elsewhere. This might seem hypocritical at first glance, but I have a take-back provision in my contract. Any ferret kit from my home always has a home here, and will never be at a shelter.
Scarlett's Happy Dookers will not place a ferret with anyone who:
- Is under 21 years of age. I will, however, consider placement with a parent of a person under this age.
- Does not have a good understanding of the needs of ferrets and the responsibility required for good ownership.
- Refuses to do distemper vaccinations.
- Does not have the means to provide appropriate food, medical care, time and attention to a ferret.
- Wishes to acquire a ferret for any reason other than to be a cherished family pet. Ferrets will not be placed for use in any working purpose, such as hunting, nor will I place ferrets to be sold in pet stores.
- Wants to start breeding ferrets. Ferrets will only be placed as breeding stock to other long-time experienced, responsible breeders.