The Muhammad Ali Center is honored to announce the topic of its seventh annual “Shining a Light” International Photography Contest and subsequent exhibition, titled Women’s Fight for the Right.
As 2020 is the centennial anniversary of the ratification of the United States’ 19th constitutional amendment and the 55th anniversary of the Voting Rights Act, the Muhammad Ali Center is commemorating this occasion with Women’s Fight for the Right, in hopes that it will honor the women around the world who have fought and continue to fight for the right to vote without bias, without discrimination, without violence, and without fear.
The contest host will produce a documentary-style exhibition, which will be exhibited at the Muhammad Ali Center in Louisville, Kentucky beginning March 8, 2020.
"Shining a Light: Women’s Fight for the Right"
The 19th Amendment states, “The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.” To commemorate this centennial anniversary, Women’s Fight for the Right will focus on women’s suffrage on a global scale, explore the narrative of suffrage, and reflect on women who have fought, throughout history and all over the world, for political representation and the right to participate in politics.
The Muhammad Ali Center is asking for photographs, new or old, so that we might be able to tell the most holistic story, spanning history to today, with moments from as many nations as possible.
· Call for Submissions: June 4, 2019
· Entry Deadline: December 31, 2019
· Muhammad Ali Center Exhibition: March 8, 2020 (International Women’s Day) – August 30, 2020
A monetary prize will be awarded to the contestants by the Muhammad Ali Center in recognition of placing first, second, or third.
1st Prize — $1000
2nd Prize — $750
3rd Prize — $500
The monetary prize will be awarded in the form of a check, mailed to the address provided by the winning photographer(s) care of FedEx Express. The tracking number for the parcel will be provided to the photographer. Prizes will be mailed within 4 weeks of the notification of placing first, second, or third.
The Muhammad Ali Center does not wire, transfer, or send money directly to bank accounts or via any form of digital social payment services (i.e. Venmo, PayPal, etc.)
Though the monetary winnings will be awarded directly to the chosen winners, they can opt to donate their proceeds to a non-profit charity or organization of their choosing.
- Press Release
- Social Media
RULES AND LEGAL CONDITIONS
By submitting one or more photographs and participating in the “Shining a Light” photo contest, you agree to the following rules and legal conditions:
· All photographers are welcomed; both amateur and professional.
· Photographers under the age of 18 are required to submit Parental Consent Form with their submission.
· You agree to limit your submissions to one photograph. Should more than one photograph be submitted, only the first will be accepted for consideration and all other(s) will be discarded.
· You agree to your photograph and name being displayed by the Muhammad Ali Center, published and/or used on websites owned and social media sites operated by the Muhammad Ali Center for an indefinite period of time, with appropriate credit line.
· You agree to your picture(s) and name being displayed at other venues for an indefinite period of time.
· Participants retain ownership and all other rights to future use of their photographs, notwithstanding the rights granted above to the Muhammad Ali Center and other exhibition venues.
· The Muhammad Ali Center has the right to verify, at their sole judgment and discretion, winner eligibility.
· Participants warrant that their photographs:
o are original and
o do not infringe on any third party’s rights,
· Participants agree that they have obtained any and all necessary permissions from any third party that appears in the photograph.
· The Muhammad Ali Center reserves the right, at its own discretion and judgment, to disqualify any entry if it finds in its sole discretion that any of the conditions above are not met.
· All decisions by the Muhammad Ali Center and its judges concerning the photo contest are final and binding.
· Submission Deadline: Tuesday, December 31, 2019 5:00 PM (EST)
ABOUT SHINING A LIGHT
The Muhammad Ali Center leveraged its existing capacity to increase awareness around issues of human rights and social justice on local, national, and international stages. In 2013 the Muhammad Ali Center created “Shining a Light,” an international photography contest focused on gender equality. The “Shining a Light” exhibition opens in conjunction with International Women’s Day on March 8 every year and offers educational programming about the selected topic in order to enhance the audiences’ experience.
ABOUT THE MUHAMMAD ALI CENTER
The Muhammad Ali Center, a 501(c)3 corporation, was co-founded by Muhammad Ali and his wife Lonnie in their hometown of Louisville, Kentucky. The international cultural center promotes the six core principles of Muhammad Ali (Confidence, Conviction, Dedication, Giving, Respect, and Spirituality) in ways that inspire personal and global greatness and provides programming and events around the focus areas of education, gender equity, and global citizenship. Its newest initiative, Generation Ali, fosters a new generation of leaders to contribute positively to their communities and to change the world for the better. The Center’s headquarters also contains an award-winning museum experience.
For additional information about the photo contest, rules, awards, exhibitions and venues, please email email@example.com or visit www.alicenter.org.