The Town of Boone is pleased to announce the annual 4th of July Parade, which will take place on Tuesday, July 4 at 11:00 AM. We encourage community groups, businesses, and nonprofits to participate in the parade and to help continue this Independence Day tradition.
The Boone 4th of July Parade has a lot of moving parts, which includes staff, volunteers, and dozens of entries. In order to ensure that everything goes smoothly, it is important that everyone adheres to the rules and guidelines set forth in this packet. Remember that this a family-oriented community event, so please be thoughtful and considerate to our neighbors and visitors.
Completed applications must be received by Wednesday, June 21 at 5:00 PM to be considered for participation in the 2023 Boone 4th of July Parade. The parade committee reserves the right to deny an application if the entry is deemed unlawful, unsafe, offensive, obscene, or otherwise inconsistent with our community standards. If your application is accepted, you will receive an email from a parade official confirming your registration.
· The parade will take place on Tuesday, July 4, 2022, at 11:00 AM.
· The parade staging area and step-off location will be at the Watauga County Social Services Complex located at 132 Poplar Grove Connector off of W. King Street (across the street from Miller Industries).
· Please arrive at the staging area no earlier than 9:00 AM to begin setting up for the parade and no later than 10:30 AM to participate in the parade.
· The parade will travel east on W. King Street and conclude at the Appalachian State University Legends parking lot off of Hardin Street.
· Please decorate your float with a holiday theme prior to arriving at the staging area.
· Inform all drivers to maintain a speed of 3 to 5 MPH and maintain a safe following distance during the parade.
· For the safety and convenience of all participants, please carpool to the parade staging area. Parking is extremely limited.
· If your parade entry includes animals, you are responsible for all cleanup in the parade staging area and along the parade route.
· Do not throw candy or other objects from moving vehicles during the parade. This is a hazard and puts spectators at great risk. Parade participants walking alongside your entry may distribute candy by placing it directly into a spectator’s hand.
Parade Rules & Regulations
· All parade participants must be registered by Wednesday, June 21 at 5:00 PM.
· All floats and vehicles in the parade must be registered, insured, and operated by a licensed driver. Any vehicle not included in the application will not be admitted. Dignitaries must provide their own vehicles.
· A float is not required for parade participation; groups may walk in the parade with a banner identifying their group.
· Floats should be decorated with a patriotic theme and marchers should dress festively.
· All parade float and automobile drivers must maintain a speed of 3 to 5 MPH during the parade and keep a safe distance from other parade participants and spectators.
· Drivers and marchers should pay close attention to the group in front of them during the parade and make every effort to prevent any gaps between entrants.
· Throwing of candy, toys, or other objects is strictly prohibited due to the potential for serious injury to spectators and participants. Anyone found throwing items may be asked to leave the parade immediately and may not be allowed to participate in future parades.
· Participants on foot may distribute candy or other items by handing them directly to spectators. Please designate these individuals prior to the parade.
· The consumption of alcohol and illegal substances is prohibited during the parade. Any parade participant suspected of being intoxicated or under the influence of an illegal substance will asked to leave and will not be allowed to participate in future parades.
· Pets are allowed, but must be guided and kept on a leash at all times.
· The parade is a fun and family-friendly community event. Please keep to a positive expression and theme for your entry – including music, language, and decorations.
· No demonstrating or protesting is allowed by parade participants. The parade is not an appropriate venue for this activity.
· Arrival time at the staging area is between 9:00 AM - 10:30 AM. Late arrivals may be denied entry into the parade.
· Parade officials reserve the right to refuse entry and participation for violation of the above rules.