The Animal Science Student Ambassador Program is for students desiring to help recruit new students and promote the University of Nebraska—Lincoln Animal Science Department, while further developing their own leadership and communication skills.
The Animal Science Student Ambassadors will strive to promote Animal Science through work as Ambassadors, involvement in activities, dedication in the classroom and willingness to help others. As such, the Animal Science Student Ambassadors will show strong character through our own actions in representing the Animal Science Department.
1. Recruit new students to the Animal Science Degree Program.
2. Promote all components of the UNL Animal Science Department, including teaching, research and extension
3. Generate awareness, on and off-campus, about careers in animal industries.
1. Be a full-time student in the Animal Science Degree Program (must be your primary major).
2. Complete a minimum of 30 credit hours at UNL by May 2020.
3. Be in good academic standing (minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5).
4. Have knowledge of academic and extra-curricular offerings available to Animal Science students.
5. Have some prior experience using programs in the Microsoft Office Suite (ie. programs Ambassadors use are Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Microsoft Photo Editor, InDesign).
6. Demonstrate evidence of leadership and communication skills (both written and oral), as well as the desire to further develop these skills.
1. Attend and take turns leading weekly meetings (approximately 45 minutes) during the academic year.
2. Assume primary leadership for one recruiting activity during the academic year (Ambassador Major Project).
3. Represent the UNL Animal Science Department in at least 2 recruitment or promotional activities per semester in addition to activities completed as Ambassador Major Projects.
4. Independently schedule and carry out two high school or transfer college visits per academic year.
1. The Ambassador Program is an opportunity to develop in a leadership role that will allow you to lend your special talents and grow towards your career aspirations.
2. Service to the Animal Science Department in this important capacity is recognized and greatly appreciated by the faculty and staff, as well as prospective students, parents, alumni and industry affiliates.
3. Scholarships totaling $2,000.00 ($500 each semester) are awarded to Animal Science Ambassadors as a gesture of the Animal Science Department’s appreciation for your service.
4. An Animal Science Department shirt, jacket and name tag are provided for each Animal Science Ambassador.
1. Fill out this application in its entirety. Once the application is received you will be emailed a student records release form and a reference form which should be returned with 2 letters of reference.
2. Applications and reference letters are due before 4:00 pm, March 6th to Alli Raymond in A103 or to email@example.com.
3. Interviews (approximately 30 minutes) will be scheduled for March 17th and 18th.
For More Information: Contact Dr. Brett White at firstname.lastname@example.org, Alli Raymond at email@example.com or a current Ambassador. 2019-2020 Animal Science Student Ambassadors are Danny Ahern, Kaylee Wheeler, Kathlyn Hauxwell, and Felicia Knoerzer.