The nature of our co-operative school is that, although our teachers are paid employees who are responsible for the program planning, instruction, and supervision of students, the overall direction, administration, and decision-making for the school are a collective responsibility of its membership. As such, all families of children attending the school are responsible for participating in some aspects of its daily function and direction.
To enroll in Royal City Cooperative Preschool, you must read and acknowledge your understanding of the following commitments:
· Personnel Assignment: This is the job that you agree to perform for the year. This job is assigned at the beginning of the school year by the personnel chair. The goal is to match the job with your abilities and interests, with consideration given to your schedule. The time commitment for each assignment varies, but most jobs are flexible and able to be completed outside of school hours.
· Housekeeping: One evening a month, a group of parents works together to clean the classrooms and equipment inside the school according to the Ministry of Health’s regulations and school policies. You will be required to sign up to attend one of these housekeeping nights during the year.
· General Membership Meetings: General membership meetings are held twice annually (fall and spring), to vote on current issues of the school and financial direction. Attendance at these meetings is mandatory, with dates provided well in advance.
· Spring Carnival Participation: All families are required to commit one hour of volunteer time to help run our annual Spring Carnival.
· Snack Duty: All families are scheduled to provide snacks for the class, according to the given nutrition guidelines set out by the Ministry of Health. A snack menu is provided at the beginning of the year, with schedules of responsibilities sent home at the beginning of each month. You are required to purchase and deliver the listed snack on your scheduled dates (approximately once per month; no cooking or preparation is required).
A post-dated duty cheque of $150.00 will be requested before your child begins school. This duty cheque will only be cashed in the event that the above co-operative duties are not met by the end of the school year, or before withdrawal. Otherwise, it will be returned to you or destroyed.
Withdrawal Policy: The withdrawal policy requires that written notice must be given to the membership chair 14 days in advance of the withdrawal of a child from the school. Further details can be found in the Parent Handbook, or in the policies section of our website.