The Accounting Specialist is responsible for added support in the areas of: accounts payable, tribal distributions, payroll processing, and general accounting functions within the guidelines of the Coyote Valley Tribal Operations policies and procedures, internal control standards and objectives. Support is needed due to the COVID-19 pandemic which requires increased accounting, reporting, and audit requirements.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential functions may include any of the following tasks, knowledge, skills, and other characteristics. The list that follows is not intended as a comprehensive list, but rather to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may or may not be required to perform all duties listed, and may be required to perform additional, position-specific tasks.
1. Assist the Fiscal Manger and CFO with accounting and clerical duties during the implementation of the following:
Accounting system implementation
Payroll system implementation
Annual Single Audit, including addition CARES Act audit
Indirect cost rate proposal preparation
2. Keep track of all payments and expenditures, including purchase orders, invoices, statements, etc.
3. Assist with purchasing of supplies.
4. Process credit card statements and attach supporting documentation.
5. Review all invoices for appropriate documentation and approval prior to payment.
6. Assists in the preparation of purchase orders and check requests.
7. Pay vendors by entering invoices in AP software, printing checks and ensure payment is received.
8. Respond to vendor inquiries regarding account status.
9. Processes Tribal Distributions (enter data, set up deductions when applicable, print and distribute checks).
10. Payroll processing: maintain employee payroll records, timecard review of hours, verification of fund codes, deductions, etc.
11. Utilizes automated record keeping systems for the performance of accounting duties.
12. Maintain files and documentation thoroughly and accurately, in accordance with company policy and accepted accounting practices.
13. Assists with audits and accounting studies as needed.
14. Assist with front office reception as needed.
15. Available to work weekends and evenings if needed.
16. Adheres to a strict confidentiality standard.
17. Maintains professional behavior with positive representation of Coyote Valley while on and off the clock.
18. Perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the essential duties and responsibilities satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field
· At least two years of full-time accounts payable experience
· At least two years of full-time payroll processing experience
· Must have a strong work ethic, be well organized, and a self-starter
· Detail oriented, professional attitude, and reliable
· Possess strong organizational and time management skills
· Strong problem-solving skills, moderate knowledge of accounts payable/general ledger system, procedures, and chart of accounts
· Experience with Microsoft Products: Outlook, Word, Excel
· Valid CA Driver’s License and insurable, with reliable transportation
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
· Compile, review and analyze financial and statistical data.
· Make mathematical calculations necessary to carry out assigned functions.
· Use a computer and software, including word processing, spreadsheet, database and other job-related applications and systems.
· Communicate orally and in writing on accounting issues with individuals with varying degrees of accounting familiarity.
· Must have the ability to deal effectively and interact well with the customers and employees.
· Must have the ability to resolve problems/conflicts in a diplomatic and tactful manner.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. The employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit for extended periods, lift up to 25 lbs. and use their hands and fingers, so as to handle or feel objects, tools or controls.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an Employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate. Must be able to work in an intense environment where a high degree of concentration is necessary to perform the required job duties.
1. Must pass pre-employment drug testing (for illegal drugs) and background investigation.
2. Preference in filling vacancies is given to qualified member of the Coyote Valley Band of Pomo Indians or qualified Native American candidates in accordance with the Indian Preference Act (Title 2, U. S Code Section 472 and 473) and the Indian Self Determination Act (Public Law 93-638). Coyote Valley Tribal Operations is an equal opportunity employer. The Coyote Valley Tribal Office is also committed to achieving full equal opportunity without discrimination based on race, religion, color, sex, national origin, politics, marital status, physical disability, age or sexual orientation. All information shown as representations of current conditions is subject to change. No guarantees are expressed or implied. The Coyote Valley Tribal Operations is an “at will” employer.
3. Must be sensitive to the needs of the Indian community, their culture and traditions.