Position: Home Health Aide
Reports to: Case Manager/ RN
Job Summary: Provide supportive and personal services for the patients with consideration of dignity and privacy. Provide personal care and hygiene to home health patients.
1. Graduate of an accredited High School or equivalent preferred.
2. Ability read, write and follow directions.
3. Must be a certified nursing assistant with proof of certification before providing extensive assistance as defined in 10A NCAC 13J .0901(9).
4. A minimum of one year full-time experience in direct patient in an institutional setting (hospital or nursing facility) or one year full-time experience within the last five years in direct client care in an agency setting.
5. Work positively and favorably with patients, families, and staff.
6. Demonstrate compassion, responsibility, and cheerful attitude.
7. Listed on the nurse aide registry with no finding against the aide relating to client abuse or neglect or misappropriation of client property.
Responsibilities/essential functions: The person in this position must be able to perform the following essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodations.
1. Follow the instructions of the professional nurse in providing care.*
2. Provide assistance with hygiene such as bathing, oral care, and dressing.*
3. Perform and record accurate measurements (i.e. vital signs, or intake/output as instructed in the care plans). *
4. Observe and report any safety hazards found in the client’s home or any significant observations regarding the client.*
5. Attend staff meetings, attend/complete 12 hours of annual in-services, and participates in orientation of new employees. *
6. Report patient complaints to the RN. *
7. Maintain patient confidentiality/adheres to HIPAA requirements and agency policy and procedures manual. *
8. Possess the ability to follow written and oral instructions. *
9. Report abnormal findings in patient’s conditions as observed and per care plan to RN. *
10. Perform the following task when delegated by the RN
• help with prescribed exercises which the client and in-home aides have been taught by a health care practitioner licensed pursuant to G.S. 90;
• provide or assist with personal care (i.e., bathing, care of mouth, skin and hair);
• assist with ambulation;
• assist client with self-administration of medications which are ordered by a physician or other person authorized by state law to prescribe;
• perform incidental household services which are essential to the client's care at home; and
• record and report changes in the client's condition, family situation or needs to an appropriate health care practitioner.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those required by an employee to perform to the essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodations.
• Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing or other communication capabilities, with or without reasonable accommodation, to enable the employee to communicate effectively;
• Sufficient vision or other powers of observation, with or without reasonable accommodation, to enable the employee to review a wide variety of materials in electronic or hard copy form;
• Sufficient manual dexterity, with or without reasonable accommodation, to enable the employee to operate a personal computer, telephone, and other related equipment;
• Sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes, with or without reasonable accommodation, to enable the employee to safely lift, move, or maneuver whatever may be necessary to successfully perform the duties of their position;
• Sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes, with or without reasonable accommodation, to enable the employee to efficiently function in a general office environment; and
• Sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes, with or without reasonable accommodation, to enable the employee to efficiently function in a general office environment, with frequent travel to a variety of field sites.
Employee works in an office environment sometimes with moderate noise levels, controlled temperature conditions and sometimes travels to patients homes where they may have direct exposure to hazardous substances. Employees may interact with upset staff and/or public and private representatives in interpreting and enforcing departmental policies and procedures.
Employee will have to travel to a variety of patient homes and perform in conditions that vary greatly depending upon the client’s home environment. Some homes will be clean, neat, and maintained at a comfortable temperature. Other homes may be cluttered, dirty, with an uncomfortable temperature.
The above list reflects the essential functions and other job functions considered necessary of the job identified, and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the job, or assigned by supervisory personnel. This job description is used as a guide only and not inclusive of responsibilities and job duties.
By my signature, I acknowledge that I have read and understand this job description and its requirement and that I am expected to complete all duties as assigned. I understand the job functions may be altered from time to time.