We the undersigned, being residents of the Province of Alberta, who believe that it is the proper role of Government to prioritize the development of vital infastrucuture for all areas of the province, and that the prioritization of this infastructure be based on the increase of safety to citizens, and the value that the infastrucuture brings to economic development, and that these considerations should outweight the number of votes to be counted in the effected areas.
We the undersigned draw the attention of the assembly to the following:
1. That the Highway 3 corridor from Medicine Hat to the Crowsnest Pass is a vital national trade corridor that moves billions of dollars of agricultural and manufactured goods each year.
2. That the intense industrial development of this corridor is overwhelming its capacity in many sections, and specifically at certain times of the year.
3. That this development poses significant and documented safety risks to citizens of Alberta.
4. That bottlenecks on Highway 3 discourage economic development in the region at a time when the Agri-food industry is surging.
5. That a twinned Highway 3 would save numerous lives each year while also opening up the southern end of the province for intense economic development in agri-food, energy, and manufacturing.
THEREFORE, we the undersigned request that the Government of Alberta prioritize the twinning of Highway 3 within their long-term transportation infastructure plan and commit to a dedicated program to fund this project, year over year, until it is completed.