These terms and conditions are required whenever the taxpayer’s return is completed and quality reviewed in a non-face-to-face environment. The site must explain to the taxpayer the process this site will use to prepare the taxpayer’s return. If applicable, taxpayers must also be advised of all procedures and the associated risk if their data will be transferred from one site location to another site location.
You are responsible for answering all of the above-mentioned questions truthfully and to the best of your abilities. If any of the information entered here is incorrect or of fraudulent nature, Virtual VITA has the right to refuse you present and future service.
Virtual VITA is a pilot program that aims to bring traditional in-person tax services to a digital and remote platform. As a result, Virtual VITA will try its best to keep your data and personally identifiable information secure. To do this Virtual VITA will undertake the following protocols:
- Using a transport layer security protocol (SSL) to encrypt all uploaded files
- Minimizing the number of people who can access the online registration form
- Deleting all client documents from preparers’ personal computers immediately after tax appointments, which includes removing the files from their respective “Trash bins”
- Training all Virtual VITA personnel to comply with these data security protocols
- Working with IRS oversight in order to ensure that Virtual VITA complies with federal VITA standards, as well as data security protocols for the online transition of personally identifiable information
Note that Virtual VITA may send the client’s documents to another VITA location in order to (a) interview the taxpayer, (2) prepare the tax return, or (3) perform a quality review. Otherwise the information will remain on JotForm’s encrypted storage space, and will not be accessed after the return is submitted without explicit consent from the client.
Furthermore, we cannot disclose your tax return information to third parties for purposes other than the preparation and filing of your tax return without your consent. If you consent to the disclosure of your tax return information, Federal law may not protect your tax return information from further use or distribution.
In order to contact you, we will reach out either by phone or by email. You will be contacted only for matters germane to your tax return, and, if you wish to cease your services at any time and not be contacted, please cancel your appointment and notify email@example.com.
Throughout the tax return, you are responsible for communicating accurate information about your tax return. Virtual VITA is absolved of liability in the event that untruthful information is submitted to the IRS. During your phone call with the taxpreparers, you will accordingly be required to keep all of the relevant documents in front of you for easy referral. These documents include:
- Picture identification for yourself and spouse (if applicable)
- Forms W-2, 1099 and/or any other income documents to support income, documents for the Expenses and Life Events as listed on the registration form
- Social security cards (or other allowed social security verification documents) or Individual Tax Identification Numbers for you, your spouse, and potential dependents (if applicable)
- Any other documents required to prepare your tax return
During the quality review process, you (and your spouse if applicable) will have to:
- Participate during the quality review process
- Review your completed tax return to ensure the names, social security numbers, address, banking information, income, and expenses are correct. As indicated earlier, this is important because you and your spouse (if applicable) are ultimately responsible for all of the information on the tax return
- Sign Form 8879, the IRS e-file Signature Authorization, after quality reviewing is completed
To ensure that you are receiving quality services and an accurately prepared tax return at the volunteer site, IRS employees randomly select free tax preparation sites for review. If errors are identified, the site will make the necessary corrections. IRS does not keep any personal information from your reviewed tax return and this allows them to rate our VITA/TCE return preparation programs for accurately prepared tax returns.
Finally, in filling out this form, you are acknowledging that you must review the return prior to signing as you are ultimately responsible for your return.