TABLE OF RECIPIENTS
Categories of Zakaat – Eligible persons according to Islamic Shari’ah
1. Fuqaraa: Poor, destitute, has nothing to live on; unemployed, no source of income; old, incapacitated, handicapped, sick, homeless, widow, orphan.
2. Masakeen (The needy): does not have enough to meet basic needs, depends on others but abstains from begging.
3. Amileen: Those who collect and disburse zakaat, regardless of their financial condition.
4. Mu’allaf ul Quloob: One who recently accepted Islam and needs encouragement and assistance; to buy friendship of people who may, otherwise, harm Muslims or the Islamic state; to remove restrictions and oppression where Muslims are prevented from practicing their religion (Islam).
5. Fir-Riqaab: Ransoming or freeing of slaves and bonded labor (21st. century slaves).
6. Gharimeen: A person who is in debt to the extent that, after paying off the debt, he/she would be left with no possessions over and above the Nisab (provided the debt is not incurred for unlawful acts such as luxurious living, gambling, drinking.
7. Fee Sabeelillah: In the cause of Allah; for the propagation of Islam; any and all activities which benefit the Ummah as a whole; all good works that pertain to religious and secular matters which please Allah.
8. Ibn as Sabeel: A traveler who became destitute and cannot benefit from his/her wealth while away from his/her home on a journey; Immigrants who have left their homes and their belongings compelled by political oppression, war, racial and/or religious hatred or persecution.