Deadline: July 1
We have altered the rules of what previously had been the Signs of the Times International Sign Contest, as well as the rules for last year's competition. This interactive entry form will allow you to fill out project information, upload photos and pay the contest entry fee in a single process.
If you have any questions about the competition or form, please contact managing editor Mark Kissling at email@example.com or (513) 263-9399.
Rules, Divisions and Categories
1. Sign companies and sign-company partners (designated as "outside-designed" below) may enter the competition. Design firms and other "outside" designers wishing to enter their designs to the competition may do so only in the outside-designed categories and must provide complete info about their sign company/fabricator partners within the project descriptions.
2. Sign companies will compete in three divisions based on their numbers of full-time-equivalent employees: Small shops (1-19 employees) and Large shops (20 or more employees).
3. There are six categories in which to compete:
Best Signshop-Designed and Fabricated Sign, Internally Illuminated
Best Signshop-Designed and Fabricated Sign, Not Internally Illuminated
Best Signshop-Designed and Fabricated Vehicle Wrap
Best Outside-Designed, Signshop-Fabricated Sign, Internally Illuminated
Best Outside-Designed, Signshop-Fabricated Sign, Not Internally Illuminated
Best Outside-Designed, Signshop-Fabricated Vehicle Wrap
4. Sign companies entering projects in the first three categories are required to have both designed the sign and fabricated it in-house. Those entering projects in the last three categories will have received the design from the an outside agency (e.g. design firm or the client, itself) and then fabricated the sign in-house. (The use of outside installers is permitted for the non-vehicle wrap categories.)
5. Sign companies may enter up to 3 (three) projects only per category, 12 (twelve) total for the competition. A company may not enter 3 (projects) in all 6 (six) categories.
6. Sign projects elegible for entry must have been completed between September 2019 and June 2020. No incomplete projects (i.e., designs only) may be entered.
7. Sign projects previously published in Signs of the Times magazine may not be entered.
8. Winners will be published in the September 2020 issue of Signs of the Times.
9. Please complete all required fields on the entry form. Specify brand names for software, hardware, media and equipment used to design, fabricate and install the signs. Also provide a brief (25-50 word) description.
The entry fee is $10 per entry, up to $75 for 8-12 entries, 12 being the maximum.
Upload to this form at least 2 (at most 6) full-color, 300-dpi images that are 4 x 5 in. or larger (8 x 10 in. preferred). ST will create a PowerPoint file for each category to send to the judges. Each project will be represented by a maxiumum of 5 photos in the PowerPoint. Following are some suggestions:
Send several images, including close-ups of specific details
Images of completed installs
equipment still in the picture
Both day and night photos for internally illuminated signs
No in-shop, under-construction images unless to show a detail close-up
No reflection or shadow of the photo taker
Try to emulate a professional photographer as best possible, or hire one
A an excellent photo of an average sign comes across better than an average photo of an excellent sign... Strive for excellent photos of excellent signs!
ST Media Group Intl. retains the right to reproduce all images and descriptions for both editorial and marketing purposes.
The judges' final decisions will be based on the following criteria:
Craftsmanship (use of quality materials and methods)
Complexity (challenges faced in designing, fabricating and installing the graphics)
Artistic merit (aesthetic appeal of design and layout)
Winners will be notified via email, and their work will be published in a special, full-color section of the September 2020 issue and, subsequently, on signsofthetimes.com. First-, second- and third-place winners will receive 5 (five) copies of the contest issue. Honorable-mention designees will be awarded at the judges' discretion.
PLEASE READ BEFORE STARTING THE FORM
Completing the form can be time-consuming and in the past, entrants have found they have "timed out" when they are finally ready to submit the form. In order to avoid this as best possible, please have all of your text and images ready to plug in and upload before starting the form.
A red asterisk denotes a required field.