Completed orthodontic treatment does not guarantee perfectly straight teeth for the rest of your life. The bone supporting your teeth has a memory and often tries to move your teeth back to their original positions. Retainers are required to keep your teeth in their new positions. Regular retainer wear is often necessary for a lifetime as your body is continually undergoing changes and ageing.
In summary, you need your retainers to keep your teeth as straight as possible, but,
even with good retainer wear your teeth may move slightly. If the teeth position relapse more than just a small amount, additional braces are often needed to bring the teeth back into position.
Consent for Braces Removal
I am pleased and happy with the position of my teeth and my smile, and I consent to the removal of the braces.
Retainer Instructions and Responsibilities
I understand that I have the following responsibilities:
1. To wear my removable retainers for 6 months full time (except while eating), at night for 6 months, and every other night indefinitely.
2. Not to wear my removable retainers during eating to prevent damage.
3. To rinse removable retainers in COLD water only, to avoid distortion of the plastic.
4. To clean around my fixed retainer. Fixed retainers should be worn indefinitely.
5. To call 0141 552 8898 immediately if my fixed/removable retainer breaks or is not fitting properly.
Follow-up Appointments: To ensure a long lasting result, you should attend for check-ups at regular six monthly intervals.
Lost or Broken Retainers
Your retainers are made using only the best possible material. Your bonded retainers are guaranteed for 12 months and are repaired at no-charge during a retention appointment. If a retainer is lost or damaged, call our office immediately to schedule an appointment. There will be a laboratory charge for each retainer replaced.
I understand the above information. I have had an opportunity to ask any questions and I have had those questions adequately answered. I am ready to proceed with the braces’ removal.