English Pre-Assessment: Grammar & Vocabulary
1. I ________________ from France.
2. This is my friend. _____________ name is Peter.
3. Mike is ______________.
a) my sister’s friend
b) friend my sister
c) friend from my sister
d) my sister friend’s
4. My brother is ______________ artist.
5. _______________ 20 desks in the classroom.
a) This is
b) There is
c) They are
d) There are
6. Paul ________________ romantic films.
a) likes not
b) don't like
c) doesn't like
d) isn't likes
7. Sorry, I can’t talk. I _____________ right now.
b) 'm driving
8. She _________________ at school last week.
a) didn't be
9. I _________________ the film last night.
10. __________________ a piece of cake? No, thank you.
a) Do you like
b) Would you like
c) Want you
d) Are you like
11. The living room is ___________________ than the bedroom.
a) more big
b) more bigger
12. The car is very old. We’re going ____________________ a new car soon.
a) to buy
c) to will buy
13. Jane is a vegetarian. She ____________________ meat.
a) sometimes eats
b) never eats
c) often eats
d) usually eats
14. There aren’t ________________ buses late in the evening.
15. The car park is _________________ to the restaurant.
d) in front
16. Sue ________________ shopping every day.
a) is going
17. They _________________ in the park when it started to rain heavily.
b) were walking
c) were walk
d) are walking
18. ________________ seen fireworks before?
a) Did you ever
b) Are you ever
c) Have you ever
d) Do you ever
19. We’ve been friends ____________________ many years.
20. You _________________ pay for the tickets. They’re free.
a) have to
b) don’t have
c) don’t need to
d) doesn’t have to
21. Jeff was ill last week and he _________________ go out.
22. These are the photos ________________ I took on holiday.
23. We’ll stay at home if it _______________ this afternoon.
c) will rain
24. He doesn’t smoke now, but he __________________ a lot when he was young.
a) has smoked
c) used to smoke
d) was smoked
25. Mark plays football ___________________ anyone else I know.
a) more good than
b) as better as
c) best than
d) better than
26. I promise I __________________ you as soon as I’ve finished this cleaning.
a) will help
b) am helping
c) going to help
d) have helped
27. This town ___________________ by lots of tourists during the summer.
c) is visiting
d) is visited
28. He said that his friends ____________ to speak to him after they lost the football match.
a) not want
c) didn’t want
d) aren’t wanting
29. How about _________________ to the cinema tonight?
c) to go
d) for going
30. Excuse me, can you ___________________ me the way to the station, please?
31. I wasn’t interested in the performance very much. ________________.
a) I didn’t, too.
b) Neither was I.
c) Nor I did.
d) So I wasn’t
32. Take a warm coat, _______________ you might get very cold outside.
b) in case
c) so that
d) in order to
33. __________________ this great book and I can’t wait to see how it ends.
a) I don’t read
b) I’ve read
c) I’ve been reading
d) I read
34. What I like more than anything else ___________________ at weekends.
a) playing golf
b) to play golf
c) is playing golf
d) is play golf
35. She ________________ for her cat for two days when she finally found it in the garage.
b) had been looked
c) had been looking
d) were looking
36. We won’t catch the plane _________________ we leave home now! Please hurry up!
b) providing that
37. If I hadn’t replied to your email, I___________________ here with you now.
a) can’t be
b) wouldn’t be
c) won’t be
d) haven’t been
38. Do you think you ___________________ with my mobile phone soon? I need to make a call.
b) are finishing
c) will have finished
d) are finished
39. I don’t remember mentioning __________________ dinner together tonight.
a) go for
b) you going to
c) to go for
d) going for
40. Was it Captain Cook ______________ New Zealand?
a) who discovered
c) that discover
d) who was discovering
41. You may not like the cold weather here, but you’ll have to ________________, I’m afraid.
a) tell it off
b) sort itself out
c) put up with it
d) put it off
42. It’s cold so you should __________________ on a warm jacket.
43. Paul will look ______________ our dogs while we’re on holiday.
44. She ___________________ a lot of her free time reading.
45. Hello, this is Simon. Could I ___________________ to Jane, please?
46. They’re coming to our house ___________________ Saturday.
47. I think it’s very easy to ___________ debt these days.
a) go into
c) go down to
d) get into
48. Come on! Quick! Let’s get _____________!
d) with immediate effect
49. I phoned her ____________ I heard the news.
c) by the time
d) the moment
50. I feel very ____________. I’m going to go to bed!
Please submit your test and our staff will contact you shortly.
Should be Empty: