Curator: Joanna Henry, BFA, Winthrop University
Juror: Foozhan Kashkooli, MFA, Winthrop University
Artists are asked to consider:
1. "Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.”
2. “If there is no struggle, there is no progress.”
3. “Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable. Every step toward the goals requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals.” —Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
4. “Have a vision. Be demanding.”
5. " Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.” George Bernard Shaw.
6. “Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome while trying to succeed.”
—Booker T. Washington
7. "Holding a creative tension between what is and what could and should be, each day doing something to narrow the distance between the two. ... Parker J. Palmer
8. "Hope depends on our willingness to do the hard things, to stay hopeful, to challenge these structures and systems, to be vocal and to end this era of silence that has given rise to so many of these issues." ... Brian Stevenson, Equal Justice Initiative
9. “You read something which you thought only happened to you, and you discover that it happened 100 years ago to Dostoyevsky. This is a very great liberation for the suffering, struggling person, who always thinks that he is alone. This is why art is important. Art would not be important if life were not important, and life is important.” ..... “An interview with James Baldwin” (1961)
DEADLINE For Submissions: April 23, 2021 at noon.
Member art will be for sale through June, 2021, all sales benefit the artists and support our commitment to Progress for All in the ARTS.
VIRTUAL ART GALLERY: www.southendarts.net
CURATED BY: JOANNA HENRY, BFA Winthrop University
JUDGED BY: FOOZHAN KASHKOOLI, MFA, Winthrop University
MANAGED BY: SEA Board of Directors
THEME: "GRACEfest" at The Brooklyn Collective This is a curated, juried art exhibition with cash prizes. Not all works entered will be selected.
CASH PRIZES: Top 3 juried-award winners.
ELIGIBILITY: All Charlotte-area artists, makers and creatives are invited to participate. This is a curated showcase meaning that all entries that meet specification requirements (see below) will be considered, but not all will be selected. If you are selected, please note that we may ask you to participate in filming or promotional photos leading up to Opening Night of the show. Please let us know ahead of time if you do not wish to participate in filming or promotional photos (this will not exclude you from being selected).
SEA Professional Members with no volunteer commitment $160
SEA Volunteer Members: First two Exhibition (2) entries: FREE per year. Additional entries are $6 each. (Four entries maximum)
20% sales commission on all sales of artwork and commissions due to SEA promotion.
NON-Members: First two (2) entries: $65. Additional entries are $15 each. (Two entries maximum) 35% sales commission on all sales due to SEA promotion.
Sponsored Artist: SEA Board of Directors preapproval required First two(2) entries: FREE Additional entries $6 each and 20% sales commission on all sales of artwork and commissions due to SEA promotion. Email request for consideration to firstname.lastname@example.org
HOW TO SUBMIT ARTWORK
DEADLINE: SUNDAY, APRIL 23, 2021 at noon.
Submit art as .
through the form below.
No artworks over 48"
All artists required to be present with their art exhibit.
Work must be ready to display and hang with a wire or sawtooth hangers; no clips allowed. All glass and frames sparkling.
Stretched canvas must have finished edges.
Ceramic/Pottery/Jewelry must be grouped in equilivencies of at least $100
Artworks may be reproduced in publications and communications for publicity purposes related to the sale and general promotion.
All artwork is subject to photography by gallery guests.
Complete entry fee payment.
NO late entries will be accepted.
Incomplete entry disqualified.
SouthEnd ARTS retains member 20% of the artwork or commission sales generated for promotion, exposure and charity to fund artist scholarships. SEA retains nonmember 35% of the artwork for promotion, exposure and charity to fund artist sponsorships.
Notification will be emailed out to all invited artists the week of April 26, 2021.
Artists must be present to hang and take down their art and to participate in ARTIST BOOTCAMP, Opening Night Festivities and to tell your stories to guests on both days of the events.