BY ARTISTS ... FOR ARTISTS
FREE STUDIO SPACE IN ESTABLISHED ARTIST STUDIO
Project P.A.I.R. (Paid.Artist.Intern.Residencies.) two-month mentor-mentee intensives in local, established artist studios to provide pathways in achieving artist self-sufficiency for diverse, historically excluded local artists. This program is designed to educate beginning artists on the professional dedication required for an art career. Located in thriving walkable neighborhoods nestled in Center City, full of art museums, retail, eateries, and historical significance.
APPLICATION OPEN: FEBRUARY 22, 2023
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: MARCH 22, 2023 at 11:59 pm MIDNIGHT
OPEN STUDIO EXHIBITION: TBA 2023-24
AWARDEES INFORMED: MAY 2, 2023
DATES OF 2-MONTH RESIDENCY INTENSIVES: AUGUST/SEPTEMBER, NOVEMBER/DECEMBER, 2023 - FEBRUARYMARCH, APRIL/MAY, 2024.
Entry Fee: $35
Minimum: 4 IMAGES
PROJECT P.A.I.R. FAQ
MANAGED BY: SEA Board of Directors
- The SEA Studio Project awards subsidized non-living studio space to 10 artists for 2-month residencies in existing artist studios.
- The studios are intended only for the artists awarded and selected by the jury.
- The project is open to both established studio artists and beginning artists, 21 years or older.
- The applicants may not be enrolled in any degree program, participate in any other residency program or maintain a separate studio during their residency.
- The artists are responsible for their own housing.
- Work that involves high level of noise, heavy machinery, toxic fumes or fire risk is not permitted in the studios.
- SEA's Studio Project does not offer financial assistance, stipends, or materials.
- The communal spaces include restrooms, sitting area with Wi-Fi and secure studio access.
- Project P.A.I.R. gives ten creatives and the community space, experience, collaboration and opportunity to create educational pathways of value to focus on arts professionalization skills.
- Artists are selected annually based on merit from a competitive pool of applicants by a professional jury.
Responsibilities of SouthEnd ARTS Project P.A.I.R. Residents:
- Artist-Mentees are required to spend at least 20 hours per week in the studio.
- Artist-Mentor in-studio education requirement: 2 hours per week.
- Plan, market, execute and participate in the quarterly Open Studios exhibition.
- Maintain communal spaces.
- Submit end-of-month reports of studio work and residency wrap-up.
- Interview with Project P.A.I.R documentarian at Open Studio event.
- Submit Project P.A.I.R. exit survey for final payment.
ELIGIBILITY: All beginning artists who identify as historically-excluded area artists, makers and creatives are invited to participate. This is a juried opportunity. If you are selected, please note that you will participate in filming or promotional photos leading up to Open Studio Night.
REQUIREMENTS FOR SUBMITTED ARTWORK
- Submit art as .jpegs through the form below.
- Submit high-resolution, cropped .jpeg images.
- All art must be original and representing a cohesive body of work.
- Artworks may be reproduced in publications and communications for publicity purposes related to sale and general promotion.
- All artwork is subject to photography by gallery guests.
- Complete entry fee payment.
- NO late entries will be accepted.
- Incomplete entries disqualified.
- ARTWORK LEFT BEHIND: If the Artist fails to remove all of his or her artwork, materials, and other property following TakeGown, SouthEnd ARTS may dispose of such artwork, materials, and other property.