Guelph Arts Council’s Youth Fund was initially established as a result of the financial success of Youth in Performance presentations that Guelph Arts Council sponsored between 1980 and 1990. Additions to the fund were made over the years, and awards were extended to graduating Guelph high school students in recognition of talent, excellence and creativity in the visual or performing arts. In 2005, the awards program was discontinued and Guelph Arts Council began to assess how best to support youth in the arts. At the same time, in order to get the best return on investment, the capital of the fund was turned over to The Guelph Community Fund to manage.
Commencing in 2009, through funds generated from the Guelph Arts Council Youth Opportunities Fund at The Guelph Community Foundation, Guelph Arts Council offers an award(s) that will initiate, enhance or expand opportunities for children and youth to experience or become engaged in the arts.
1. Any local artist or not-for-profit group that proposes to offer a program that will initiate, enhance or expand opportunities for children and youth under age 25 to experience or become engaged in the arts in Guelph or Wellington County. Groups could include established arts organizations, neighbourhood groups, community groups, multicultural groups, educational institutions, student groups.
2. Any local youth who proposes to develop a program that will initiate, enhance or expand opportunities for children and youth under age 25 to experience or become engaged in the arts in Guelph or Wellington County.
For #1 above, preference will be given to applicants who have a proven record of being able to effectively initiate, enhance or expand programming to a youth audience, or who are associated with an organization or institution whose mandate includes the arts and youth development. Partnerships will be encouraged.
Projects should respond to identified gaps or needs in the community and offer evidence that they will truly initiate, enhance or expand opportunities for children or youth to experience or become engaged in the arts in Guelph or Wellington County.
Projects should also be innovative, original and creative.
Click here to view a list of past recipients and the opportunities that were funded by the Guelph Arts Council Youth Opportunities Award.
Please note that the following will not be considered for an award:
● past opportunities for children or youth or those that occur before award decisions are made
● operating expenses for existing programs
● programs that have a sectarian, religious or political purpose
● fundraising activities
● renovation or capital costs
How the Award will be Determined
Each year, Guelph Arts Council will appoint a Youth Awards Panel to review applications. The panel will consist of three to four individuals, representing the following categories as available:
● local youth
● local arts community
● Guelph Arts Council
Amount of the Award
The amount of the award(s) will vary depending upon income generated by the Guelph Arts Council Youth Opportunities Fund at The Guelph Community Foundation as well as possible award sponsorships that might be received during the year. The amount will be published as far in advance of the application deadline as possible. For 2020, up to $500 or more may be available for awarding to one or more applicants, at the panel’s discretion.
How to Apply
Applicants must complete the required application form available in two versions: (i) online form or (ii) paper form, both of which can be accessed from the guelpharts.ca website (under Resources). Paper forms are also available from the Guelph Arts Council office. References will be requested.
Deadline for Application
Applications must be received no later than Sunday, November 15, 2020, at 11:59 p.m. Decisions will be made and awards announced before the end of the year.
Term and Conditions
● If an award recipient is under the age of 18, a teacher, mentor or other adult will be asked to sign a letter of agreement with Guelph Arts Council.
● Award recipients will be asked to acknowledge the support of the Guelph Arts Council Youth Opportunities Award in any publicity related to their project.
● Award recipients will be asked to submit to Guelph Arts Council a one-page report within two months of the completion of their project.
Guelph Arts Council
10C Shared Space, 42 Carden Street
Guelph, Ontario N1H 3A2
Phone: 519-836-3280 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org