Any student who believes he/she/they has been subjected to discrimination on the basis of disability may file a grievance under this procedure. It is against the law for Lyon College to retaliate against anyone who files a grievance or cooperates in the investigation of a grievance.
- Grievances must be submitted to the Director of Academic Support in the Office of Accessibility within 14 days of the date the person filing the grievance becomes aware of the alleged discriminatory action.
- A complaint must be in writing and contain the name, address, and other applicable contact information of the person filing it. The complaint must state the problem or action alleged to be discriminatory and the remedy or relief sought.
- The Director of Academic Support shall investigate the complaint. This investigation may be informal, but it must be thorough, affording all interested persons an opportunity to submit evidence relevant to the complaint. The Director of Academic Support will maintain the files and records of Lyon College relating to such grievances.
- The Director of Academic Support will issue a written decision on the grievance no later than 30 days after its filing.
- The person filing the grievance may appeal the decision of the Director of Academic Support by writing to the Provost within 14 days of receiving the decision of the Director of Academic Support. The Provost shall issue a written decision in response to the appeal no later than 30 days after its filing.
- The availability and use of the grievance procedure do not prevent a person from filing a complaint of discrimination on the basis of disability with the US Department of Health and Human Services, Office for Civil Rights.
To avoid conflict of interest, grievances filed against the Lyon College Office of Accessibility and/or its representatives should be submitted to the Provost within 14 days of the date the person filing the grievance becomes aware of the alleged discriminatory action. The Provost shall issue a written decision in response to the grievance no later than 30 days after its filing.
Lyon College will make appropriate arrangements to ensure persons with disabilities are provided other accommodations, if needed, to participate in the grievance process. Such arrangements may include but are not limited to providing interpreters for the deaf, providing audio of material for the blind, or assuring a barrier-free location for the proceedings. The Director of Academic Support will be responsible for such arrangements.