Telecommunicator of the Year
Submissions must be received by 7 AM Monday, March 1st, 2021
Nominees must have been employed in the applicable category by a public safety agency any time between January 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020. Nominees do not have to be members of APCO. Persons being nominated must be residents of Kansas, United States.
When completing your nomination for submission please ensure you have selected the correct category and that you provide as much detail about the nominee in your nomination as possible. To assist you we have included below a list of sample job titles as well as sample job responsibilities. They are not all-inclusive as you know agencies job titles vary across the state. Please note that nominations submitted in incorrect categories will be disqualified from the judging process.
If you have any questions, please email 2nd Vice President Kelly Chess at email@example.com for assistance at any time.
Sample Job Titles
Call Taker, Dispatcher, Emergency Communications Operator, Public Safety Dispatcher, Telecommunicator, etc.
● Functions as a frontline dispatcher or call-taker for police, fire, and/or EMS agencies.
● Operates telecommunications equipment to receive emergency and non-emergency phone calls.
● Operates radio equipment to dispatch, monitor, and communicate with first responders.
● Ability to prioritize multiple calls for dispatch to determine the type and level of response necessary.
● Ability to work through periods of high call volumes and priority incidents without sacrifice to decisions and quality of work.
● Ability to obtain, prioritize and relay information from a caller to a dispatcher via CAD or manual systems. Consistently thinks clearly and responds quickly to a wide variety of emergency situations.
● Calms, negotiates, advises and otherwise communicates with callers to obtain accurate and essential information necessary to establish priority and initiate a timely response to emergency calls.
● Operates all required computer and telephone system with essential peripherals and program applications efficiently.
● Assists other employees as necessary when not occupied with primary call answering/dispatch responsibilities.
● Relays information to a dispatcher (if a separate position) via CAD or manual dispatch cards.
● Maintains appropriate security and confidentiality of information created, encountered or requested (i.e. cellular traces) in the performance of assigned duties.
Nominator Tips & Resources
Please provide as much detail about the nominee in your nomination as possible. Include specific examples to emphasize and illustrate exemplary performance.
Nominators – Please answer each question on this form individually under the questions. You may do so by expanding the space after each question or repeating the questions on additional pages as needed to answer each question separately. Each answer has a number value so questions left unanswered will negatively influence the scoring of the nomination.
Completing this form
● Save a copy of the downloaded version of this document to your computer’s hard drive. Nominations will only be accepted using this form.
● Type the required information directly into the saved version of the document.
● Be sure to include information for all requested sections.
● Include specific facts or examples wherever possible to back up your comments.
● Ask someone to proof the form before you submit it: Are there grammatical errors? Is there information that is unclear? Do the descriptions provide enough detail to “paint a picture” of the performance and contribution of the nominee to public-safety communications?