Please read the SOL job description, benefits and time commitments carefully before completing the application below:
Student Orientation Leaders (SOLs) will represent the UC Blue Ash student body for incoming students and their families during Orientation and Convocation programs over the summer. They will welcome, greet, and mingle with new students online and provide guidance and support throughout orientation and convocation. SOLs will facilitate small group discussions and lead virtual campus tours, and they will serve as liaisons between the faculty, staff, and new students.
Student Orientation Leader Responsibilities
1. Serve as UCBA student representatives at orientation and convocation
2. Welcome, greet and mingle with new students and their family members via an online video program (i.e. Zoom, Webex, Teams)
3. Provide up-to-date and accurate information about the UCBA campus and its resources
4. Facilitate virtual small group discussions with new students
5. Provide guidance and support to students, peers, and colleagues
Benefits of Being an Orientation Leader
1. Hourly wage compensation ($8.70/hour) for training, orientation, and convocation.
2. Eligible to apply to be a UCBA Student Ambassador (scholarship for tuition and fees if selected as an Ambassador).
3. Cultivate leadership, teamwork, and public speaking skills.
Orientation Leaders will be expected to serve approximately 100 hours between March and August. The time commitments for SOLS are as follows:
You must be available for all of the paid training sessions:
• Wednesday, March 31 from 5 to 8 pm
• Wednesday, April 7 from 5 to 8 pm
• Wednesday, April 14 from 5 to 8 pm
• Wednesday, April 21 from 5 to 8 pm
• Tuesday, May 4 from 9 am to 5 pm
• Wednesday, May 5 from 9 am to 5 pm
• Friday, July 16 (SOL Mid-Summer Retreat) from 8:30am – 4:30pm
Responsibilities: Engage with teammates and campus partners during training sessions.
SOLs must be available for 35 out of 45 orientation programs between April and August. We offer orientation programs for summer-start first-year students, fall-start transfer students, and fall-start first-year students. Orientation dates are determined by mid-February.
Responsibilities: During each orientation session, SOLs will provide support during technology set-up, check-in, and various online presentations. Student Orientation Leaders will also lead virtual campus tours, facilitate small group discussions, etc.
Thursday, August 19, 2021: 8 am-2 pm
Responsibilities: Available for convocation training and serve as Orientation Leaders during New Student Convocation in late August. SOLs will provide guidance and support to new students during New Student Convocation. They will facilitate small group discussions and articulate important campus information to new students.
-Enthusiastic and knowledgeable about UC Blue Ash College
-Friendly and engaging with students and their families; able to make positive first impressions online
-Model inclusivity for new students and teammates
-Able to work effectively as part of a team
-Responsible for committing to the necessary time
-Comfortable taking leadership position
-Reliable and Responsible
-2.5+ Cumulative GPA
-At least one semester of UCBA Student Experience by Spring 2021
-Completed application (due by 11:59pm on Friday, January 22, 2021)
-One recommendation form (due by 11:59pm on Friday, January 22, 2021)
Note: We are anticipating being online during the summer 2021 orientation season. This could switch to in-person orientation sessions if health conditions change in Ohio. We will notify SOLs of this change and train them accordingly.