Dragons Abreast Inc.
Note: the following forms are to be signed & dated where indicated for completion of the Application for Membership:
· Volunteer, Paddling and Practice Information
· Commitment Statement
· Code of Conduct
As members of Dragons Abreast Inc., each of us should commit to participate in carrying out the functions that allow the team to continue.
Please indicate which of the following volunteer areas you are prepared to actively participate in. This list is not finite and if you can think of additional ways you can help that are not listed here, please write these in. Note, each member is expected to commit to at least one volunteer duty.
· I recognize that I am an advocate for our mission statement as described on the Home Page of our website and I will undertake to promote the objectives of our organization;
· I recognize that this is a volunteer-run organization and I am prepared to participate in and/or support the organization to the best of my ability;
· I understand that I cannot expend any funds on behalf of Dragons Abreast Inc. without the prior approval of the Board of Directors;
· I will respond appropriately and in a timely fashion to communications from the organization (in reference to e-mail messages).
· I will attend the number of lake practices determined acceptable by my crew and coaches and promise to be accountable to my team. Attendance will be taken, and crew members are expected to attend the 4 practices during the 2 weeks prior to any venue they have committed to.
· I understand that physical fitness is an ongoing commitment and I will fulfill that commitment to the best of my ability by participating in a regular exercise program with the goal of improving my physical well-being and of enhancing my ability to participate in races;
· I will notify my captain/co-captain if I am unable to paddle for whatever reason;
· I understand that I am part of a team and that I have responsibilities to my teammates; accordingly, I will contribute to a positive environment when representing my team;
· When traveling, I will be particularly cognizant of my responsibilities as a member of the organization and I will work actively to promote our message in a positive and respectful manner;
· I agree that if I cancel or do not renew my paddling membership with Dragons Abreast, I will return the paddle and lifejacket that was provided to me.
· I understand that I am responsible for my own health. I understand that the organization's Board of Directors, pool/lake/venue captains, and medical support personnel assisting in my paddling experience are acting in an advisory role only and without personal liability.
· I understand that I am encouraged to advise my doctor that I am participating on a dragon boat team.
· I understand that I must advise my pool/lake/venue captain if I experience any unusual medical problems.
I hereby warrant and agree that I have read and understood the preceding three sections and I sign this document as my pledge to uphold my commitment to Dragons Abreast Inc. accordingly.
All persons participating in paddling, training, practicing, racing, or instruction (collectively, the “Activities”) organized or provided by Dragons Abreast Inc. (“DA”), any member of DA or any other person associated with DA or a member of DA (including their respective directors, officers, officials, members, contractors, representatives, agents, sponsors, and volunteers) (collectively the “Released Parties”) are required to read and agree to this release and indemnity.
In consideration of receiving permission to participate in the Activities organized or provided by any of the Released Parties and permission to enter the waterways and grounds supervised or in any way controlled by any of the Released Parties, the receipt of said permission being hereby acknowledged. I hereby forever release any and all liability and agree not to sue any of the Released Parties for, and agree to hold them harmless and indemnify them from and against, any and all liabilities, claims, injuries (including death), losses, damages, costs, expenses, demands, actions and causes of action of whatsoever kind or nature that may be suffered by me for whatever reason arising out of or related to my participation in any of the Activities organized or provided by any of the Released Parties or entering the premises, waterways or grounds supervised or in any way controlled by any of the Released Parties.
I hereby indemnify each of the Released Parties from each and every obligation or claim which may be made, assigned or apportioned against any of them by any person by virtue of any injury or damage caused by me or to me absolutely arising out of or related to my participation in any of the Activities.
I and my next of kin am/are aware of the risks and hazards inherent in the Activities and entering the premises used for the purpose of the Activities and specifically in participating in the Activities organized or provided by the Released Parties, knowing that conditions may be hazardous and dangerous, that high winds may cause rough water, and that obstruction may exist, and that I voluntarily assume all risks of loss, damage or injury (including death) that may be sustained by me or to any property in or upon such premises or engaged in any such Activities.
I and my next of kin/are aware that COVID-19 disease has been declared a worldwide pandemic by the World Health Organization and is extremely contagious. The Released Parties have put in place preventative measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19; however, the Released Parties cannot guarantee that I will not become infected with COVID-19. Further, participating in the Activities could increase my risk of contracting COVID-19 and I may be exposed to, or infected by, COVID-19, and such exposure may result in personal injury, illness, permanent disability, or death. I agree To FOREVER RELEASE AND INDEMNIFY the Released Parties from any action related to my becoming exposed to or infected by COVID-19 as a result of, or from, any action, omission, or negligence of myself or others, including but not limited to the Released Parties.
I confirm that I am responsible for my own safety at all times while engaged in the Activities organized or provided by any of the Released Parties.
I understand Safety Protocols and am aware and will adhere to the lifejacket/floatation device/life preserver requirements.
I agree that any photo (whether electronic, digital, or otherwise) taken of me or in which I may appear may be used by any of the Released Parties for any legal purpose, including publicity and commercial exploitation, without compensation to me and this constitutes my consent to such use.
I hereby acknowledge and represent that I have read and understood this release and indemnity and agree to it voluntarily, that I am 18 years of age or older and of sound mind, or being less than 18 years of age, co-accept with a parent or legal guardian, as the case may be.
I recognize and agree that I am not allowed to participate in any of the Activities noted above unless I accept this release and indemnity and I am, therefore, receiving a benefit for signing this release and indemnity and it is binding on me and my heirs, estate trustees and other personal representatives.
I accept the terms and conditions of membership.
All members of Dragons Abreast Inc. (Dragons Abreast) are responsible for their own conduct. Dragons Abreast members are expected to demonstrate the character traits of respect, responsibility, fairness, caring, trustworthiness, and sportsmanship. Specifically, members are expected to abide by the following code of conduct guidelines:
· Arrive at the designated time for crew check-in and warm-up exercises
· Understand and follow safety/emergency procedures
· Respect guidance and decisions of the coaching team, shore managers, and Sunnyside Paddling Club staff
· Communicate in a respectful manner with teammates, coaches, and officials
· Respect the talent, potential, and development of teammates and give assistance where needed
· Help orient new paddlers to their environment
· Respect the privacy of other members
Policy on the use of the Dragons Abreast Membership List
Use of the Dragons Abreast membership list for mass emails is restricted to use by the Dragons Abreast Board for team-related activities and/or business only.
Team members may speak to their captain or coach regarding code of conduct concerns, but always away from other team members in a private setting. If the matter cannot be dealt with appropriately privately, it must be brought to the attention of the Chair of the Dragons Abreast Board of Directors.
All parties in a dispute have the right to make verbal and/or written presentations to the Board of Directors. If it is found that the Dragons Abreast Code of Conduct is not being followed by an individual, the Board will do one of the following as determined by agreement of a quorum:
· decide that the individual’s actions were appropriate and take no action
· advise or caution the individual verbally and/or in writing
· direct a period of suspension from the team
· issue a written letter of dismissal from the team.
I have read the above Code of Conduct and agree to abide by these guidelines for positive behavior both on and off the boat.