Board Member Roles and Responsibilities
Previous board experience is an asset but not required. Orientation will be provided. Board members should have an interest in community development and be willing to:
- Commit time for regular meetings. Currently our board meets virtually through zoom 6 times a year with a break over the summer. Meetings generally last 1 - 1.5 hours.
- Keep track of email correspondence and reply in a timely manner when needed.
- Prepare in advance for meetings by reviewing and commenting on minutes and reports
- Understand the fiscal implications of decisions
- Be knowledgeable about the organization's values, mission, programs, and performance
- Be an ambassador for the organization and promote its work in the community
- Ensure the organization's financial viability and sustainability
- Develop policy frameworks
To carry out these responsibilities the Board meets regularly throughout the year with a brief break over the summer months. The Board is comprised of 6 - 12 members who are elected at the Annual General Meeting, typically held in late November. Terms are two years and members can serve up to two consecutive terms.