Welcome to Our Program!
We created our Guardian-Home Program to grow our breeding program while still providing each of our breeding dogs with a loving environment in a guardian family.
By joining our Program, you desire to and will act as a guardian for a dog that is either a female potential breeder/proven breeder or a male potential breeder/proven breeder(“the Dog”), subject to the terms of this Agreement.
The following will spell out the Guardian-Home Program, including our requirements for guardian families while the Dog is a part of the breeding program. The obligations we will assume as owner, and how the Dog will become a permanent member of your family.
Contracts / Legalities
Benefits of the Guardian-Home Program
To the Guardian family:
The Dog is “pick of the litter” with an estimated value of $10,000. Your initial cost is a $500 deposit which is refunded at the completition or termination of program. Breeder will pay all vet costs for health testing and reproductive health associated with the breeding of the Dog. For each litter whelped you will receive $100 in compensation.
Initial Obligations of Guardian Family
In order to be considered for the Guardian-Home Program, we require that you:
1. Live within the NC/SC area.
2. Own your own home.
3. Have physical fencing to provide a safe and secure environment for the Dog. This
also protects the Dog from any unplanned, unwanted pregnancies and is crucial!
4. Never leave the Dog off leash in an unsecured area.
5. Have reliable transportation and willingness to bring the dog to us when needed
throughout the year for breeding purposes (i.e. testing, breeding, litters, etc.).
6. Maintain open lines of communication with us concerning any matter related to the
7. Keep the guardian on Farmina Dog food or other food approved by the Owner (ProPlan Sport 30/20 is also approved).
8. Understand that the breeder may need to make decisions about your female or male and you will have to respect those decisions. Examples may include, but are not
limited to: keeping the dog longer, additional vet care, etc. All decisions WILL
ALWAYS BE for the betterment of the Dog.
Ownership and all rights, title, and interest in the Dog shall remain the property of the Owner. Any puppies born to the Dog shall be the sole property of the Owner. The Guardian Family shall have no ownership, interest, or possession rights to any puppy produced by the Dog. The Dog shall be used as breeding stock exclusively by the Owner and under no circumstances shall be bred to any dog other than as directed by the Owner. After the Dog ceases to be a breeder, Owner shall, by written evidence of transfer, assign and transfer ownership of the Dog and initial $500 deposit to the Guardian Family after spay/neuter (breeder pays for spay/neuter surgery).
Upon the execution of this Agreement, Owner shall transfer possession of the dog to the Guardian Family. The Guardian family shall retain possession of the dog during this Agreement, subject to its obligations to return possession of the dog for breeding purposes and shall provide physical care to and supervision of the dog subject to the terms and conditions of this agreement. The Guardian Family shall not transfer possession of the Dog to any person without the prior written consent of Owner.
Owner’s Possession for Breeding
Female: Owner requires access to female breeding dog for reasons including, but not limited to:
1. Veterinary - appointments for general purposes and / or to monitor pregnancy – possibly two (2) visits.
2. Breeding - first sign of going into heat (blood) until a successful tie (usually 7-14 days). You can bring her to the breeder every other day - three (3) times on average or leave her for the duration of the stay. This decision can be made by the Guardian family, at the discretion of the breeder.
3. Whelping - (7-14 days) days prior to the Dog’s due date and up until the puppies are weaned at approximately 6‐8 weeks after birth. This process lasts approximately 9-12 weeks total. When the Dog is returned to you post whelping you will receive $100 compensation for each litter.
4. Females will not be bred more than 5 times.
Male: Owner requires access to male breeding dog for reasons including, but not limited to:
1. Veterinary - appointments for general purposes and / or to monitor semen levels, screen for Brucelosis, etc. – possibly two (2) visits.
2. Breeding - Owner will give as much notice as possible prior to requesting Males for stud services. However, understand that we are often at the descretion of our partner breeders timing when they contact us requesting the stud. It is our goal to give atleast 1 weeks notice to the Guardian Family but there are occasions where it could be as little as 24-48 hours notice. When the Dog is returned to you following succesful breeding you will receive $100 compensation. If the breeding is a repeat breeding after a prior failed breeding no compensation will be given (these breedings are done out of courtesy due to the missed prior breeding - no money is exchanged).
3. Males will not be bred past the age of 7 years old.
Guardian Family Obligations
1. Raise the dog as an indoor dog. Never to dwell outside.
2. When left at home, safely contain the dog indoors (a kennel is preferred)
3. Comply with Owner’s nutritional and dietary guidelines and pay all cost and expenses associated with feeding the dog.
4. Provide the Dog with regular exercise and socialization (people, locations and only spayed or neutered dogs).
5.Provide monthly Heartgard and reproductive safe flea & tick medication (Nexgard, Advantage, etc.)
6. Provide pictures and updates periodically.
7. Schedule and pay for all veterinary appointments (other than those associated with breeding, which will be covered by the Owner) and provide routine medical care appropriate for the breeding Dog.
8. Continue to ensure the dog is compliant, kennel-trained, housebroken, leash-trained, does not jump, mouth or excessively bark. The female dog's puppies’ safety relies on calm and focused behavior.
9. Notify the Owner of any planned vacations and change of address, phone, or email.
10. When Guardian goes out of town the dog will not be boarded in a dog kennel facility or watched by a pet sitter. The dog will be returned to Owner for need boarding stays (at not cost to the family).
11. Guardian must keep Owners contact info tag or personalized collar with Owners number on dog at all times. Dogs microchip will remain registered to Owner until contract completion when dog ownership is officially transferred to Guardian.
12. If the Owner finds it difficult to reach the Guardian, is met with roadblocks or cantankerous communication in any form (comments, phone calls, text messages etc.) that make this working relationship hostile and / or if the Guardian refuses to do anything breeder asks as set forth in this document, the dog will be removed from the home – no question.
Termination of Agreement
This Agreement shall terminate upon the occurrence of any of the following:
1. Immediately, upon the transfer of ownership of the Dog to the Guardian Family
2. Immediately, upon Owner’s determination that the Guardian Family is non‐compliant with the terms of this Agreement and such non‐compliance poses significant risk to the health, welfare and safety of the Dog, at which time possession of the Dog returns to the Owner.
3. Immediately, upon the death of the dog from natural or accidental causes.
4. Immediately, upon the Guardian Family’s permanent return of the Dog to the Owner for any reason.
The Guardian Family agrees to indemnify and hold the Owner harmless from and against all claims, liabilities, losses, cost, damages and expenses by reason of any damage property or injury or death to individuals allegedly caused by the Dog while in the possession of the Guardian Family.