Why detangling your hair is important
2-24-22 | By Dawn M. Williams
Many times we want a short cut for tasks such as detangling hair. It's a bit like weight loss for example. It comes easier for some than it does for others. For those with tender scalps coupled with tangled hair, the task is more arduous. It requires more time but it is possible.
As I alluded to in my video, the job of the cosmetologist is limited & exclusively to our discretion. My typical time limit for detangling is approximately 30 minutes. Sometimes clients mistakenly believe that combing matted or extremely tangled hair is included in the initial price. From a reasonable perspective, it is not. This is an extra fee. At the time of this article, my fee is $60/hour(although I can see this going up in the near future).
This task requires individual time. I can not provide this service simultaneously with another clients service. This leaves detangling in the category with braids. A 3 hour braid service is minimum $200-$300. This is the reason for my video directing clients to comb their hair prior to arrival in 2021. From an owners perspective, if 50% of my clientele came with tangled hair where I had to spend an hour combing through each of them, I'd literally be taking a serious pay cut.
So lets get to the good stuff!☺️. Detangling hair varies from person to person. Here are some detanglers & detangling methods I use as a licensed cosmetologist.
TOP TEN DETANGLERS
& DETANGLING METHODS
1. Keracare leave in conditioner
2. Taliah waajid leave in conditioner
3.Use sulfate free shampoos to retain as much moisture as possible. I highly recommend Keracare hydrating shampoo.
4. Comb your hair thoroughly. Training hair is the key.
5. Comb from the ends of your hair up to the root.
6. Put conditioner on the DIRTY hair 1st prior to shampooing. Comb through the hair prior to shampooing as well.
7. Get your ends clipped every 6-8 weeks. Sometimes the ends of the hair are dry. This can cause tangled hair.
8. For kinky hair, after shampooing be sure to section the hair into at least 4 sections to prevent tangling upon drying. Comb through thoroughly 1st.
(We are still updating this list. We appreciate your patience)