A. General Instructions: This form is to be completed by individuals wishing to be served ( app Ii cants) and those that are currently served (tenants) in housing assisted by the Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Owner and agents are required to offer the applicant/tenant the option to complete the form. The form is to be completed at initial application or at lease signing. In-place tenants must also be offered the opportunity to complete the form as part of the next interim or annual recertification. Once the form is completed it need not be completed again unless the head of household or household composition changes. There is no penalty for persons who do not complete the form. However, the owner or agent may place a note in the tenant file stating the applicant/tenant refused to complete the form. Parents or guardians are to complete the form for children under the age of 18.
The Office of Housing has been given permission to use this form for gathering race and ethnic data in assisted housing programs. Completed documents for the entire household should be stapled together and placed in the household's file.
1. The two ethnic categories you should choose from are defined below. You should check one of the two categories.
1. Hispanic or Latino. A person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race. The term "Spanish origin" can be used in addition to "Hispanic" or "Latino."
2. Not Hispanic or Latino. A person not of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race.
2. The five racial categories to choose from are defined below: You should check as many as apply to you.
1. American Indian or Alaska Native. A person having origins in any of the original peoples ofNorth and South America (including Central America), and who maintains tribal affiliation or community attachment.
2. Asian. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent including, for example, Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam
3. Black or African American. A person having origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa. Terms such as "Haitian" or "Negro" can be used in addition to "Black" or "African American."
4. Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa, or other Pacific Islands.
5. White. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East or North Africa.