About the Scheme:
The Optoelectronics Advisory Committee of the Rank Prize Funds will support a number of awards for students to undertake a vacation placement in the summer before they enter the final year of undergraduate studies. Placements can be held at UK universities which have a major commitment to teaching and research in Optoelectronics, including vision and the eye. The scheme is intended to integrate students in the day-to-day activities of a research group/laboratory and will run during the summer of 2021.
1. To encourage promising undergraduates to consider a career in Optoelectronics.
2. To enable students to experience the process of research at first hand.
Terms and Conditions:
1. The supervisor should submit this form, nominating one student for the placement, by midnight on 15th March 2021.
2. The Optoelectronics Advisory Committee will select successful applications based on the quality of the proposal and the academic potential of the student.
3. The value of the award will be £300 per week for a period of between 8-12 weeks, together with up to £500 for consumables (the proposed amount should be justified in the form). The maximum value of the studentship will thus be £3,600, plus up to £500 for consumables. We expect that the student will be paid at least the living wage rate. Internal university funds can be used to increase the studentship length.
4. A 200-word report from the supervisor and a separate two-page report from the student will be required in order to evaluate the success of the project. The reports must be submitted by Monday 1st November 2021. An award of £500 will be made to the student for the best project each year.