Anyone with sufficient knowledge and ability to complete the nomination form and accompanying paperwork is eligible to nominate a worthy pastor. Nominators are often school or early childhood center administrators, fellow clergy, or other church/school staff. The Synodical Bishop may also nominate a pastor. The school or early childhood center which the pastor is serving must be a current member of the Evangelical Lutheran Education Association (www.elcaschools.org)
The nominated pastor must:
1. Possess a clear philosophy of Lutheran education.
2. Provide spiritual guidance to the school or center community.
3. Participate in school/center activities.
4. Work with the school board and/or parent association.
5. Support the school/center administration.
6. Engage the community in providing financial support to the school or center.
7. Receive high recommendations from a principal, faculty member, school board/parish council officer, and parent or a present or former student.
8. Receive the endorsement and approval of the Synodical Bishop.
9. Have a minimum of three years of service as a pastor in a congregation sponsoring an ELEA-member early childhood program, elementary and/or secondary school.