The congregation of First United Methodist Church is committed to providing a safe and secure environment for all children, students, workers, and volunteers who participate in ministries sponsored by the church. The following policy statements reflect our congregation’s commitment to preserving this church as a holy place of safety and protection for all who would enter and as a place in which all people can experience the love of God through relationships with others.
1. No adult who has been convicted of child abuse (either sexual abuse, physical abuse, neglect, emotional abuse, or ritual abuse) should volunteer to work with children, students, or vulnerable adults in any ministry or church-sponsored activity.
2. Staff members and volunteers with children, students or vulnerable adults shall observe the guidelines of the “Worker to Child/Student/Vulnerable Adult Ratio” so that no adult is left alone with children, students or vulnerable adults on a routine basis.
3. Staff members and volunteers working with children, students and vulnerable adults shall complete the Ministry Safe Sexual Abuse Awareness Training online and authorize the church to undertake a criminal background check.
4. Staff members and volunteers at our church shall report suspicions of child abuse or neglect, or any inappropriate behavior of a colleague or co-worker, to their immediate supervisor of the area, the Children’s Director, or a Pastor.
5. Staff members or volunteers who have cause to believe a child’s, student’s or vulnerable adult’s physical or mental health or welfare has been or may be adversely affected by abuse or neglect must make a report to the appropriate law enforcement agency pursuant to Chapter 261 of the Texas Family Code.
Please answer the following questions: