In partnership with the Saskatchewan Band Association, the Gelinas family is pleased to remember David's love of music by encouraging other young jazz musicians. Thanks to the generosity of the Gelinas family, an annual scholarship of $250 will be presented to a dedicated Saskatchewan jazz band student.
David Gelinas loved music, band and particulary jazz music! His passion and persuit of excellence was evident to all who knew him. David was a well loved, friendly and enthusiastic saxophone player with dreams of pursuing a career in music. He was very active in the Dr. Martin LeBoldus School Band, the Regina Catholic School Jazz Bands and the Lions Band. David was in Grade 10 when he died tragically in a car accident in 1992.
After generously contributing to the Regina Catholic School Division band programs for many years, the Gelinas family is pleased to encourage developing jazz musicians around the province.
The David Gelinas Memorial Jazz Education Scholarship will provide one dedicated jazz band student from grade 7 - 12 with financial support to encourage their ongoing development as a jazz musician.
The David Gelinas Memorial Jazz Education Scholarship is open to all Saskatchewan jazz band students in grades 7 through 12 who:
- Would benefit from further music education outside of school band
- Displays extra effort in practice, demonstrates initiative and shows ongoing progress
- Provides assistance and encouragement to other band members
- Functions as a leader within their band program
- Displays the qualities of David, including: enthusiasm, eagerness to learn, a love of jazz, and a strong team spirit.
- Fully complete the online application form below
- Include a short letter of recommendation from the applicant's school/jazz Band Director, Community Band Director, Music Festival Coordinator or Band Parent Association Executive.
The SBA Awards committee will review all applications and choose the recipients.
Annual deadline for applications: March 15, 2023.