EXPECATIONS FOR MINISTRY PARTICIPANTS
Please take a few minutes to read our expectations for participants serving on any cross-cultural ministry experience. You will be asked if you agree with these expectations and, if so, to indicate your commitment by signature.
I realize that the following elements are crucial to the effectiveness, quality, and safety of our ministry together. As a member of the ministry team, I agree to:
- Remember that I am a guest working at the invitation of a local missionary/pastor. I will be open to learning other people’s methods and ideas.
- Respect the host’s view of Christianity. I recognize that Christianity has many faces throughout the world, and that the purpose of short term trips is to introduce and expose people to cross-cultural ministry, and to a greater perspective of God and His people around the world.
- Develop and maintain a servant’s attitude toward all nationals and my teammates.
- Respect my team leader(s) and his or her decisions.
- Refrain from gossip. I may be surprised at how each person will blossom when freed from the concern that others may be passing judgment.
- Refrain from complaining. I know that travel can present numerous unexpected and undesired circumstances, but the rewards of conquering such circumstances are innumerable. I will try to be creative and supportive.
- Respect the work that is going on in the country with the particular church(es) or person(s) with whom we are working. I realize that our team is here for just a short while, but that the local church is here for the long term. I will respect their knowledge, insights, and instructions.
- Refrain from negative political comments or hostile discussions concerning our host country’s politics.
- Refrain from giving funds directly to nationals and/or missionaries during, or after the trip. Any funds that you feel led to give, must be given through the agency we are working with.
- Remember not to be exclusive in my relationships. If my girlfriend/boyfriend is on the team, we will make every effort to interact with all members of the team, not just one another.
- Refrain from any activity that could be construed as a romantic interest toward a national. I realize certain activities that seem innocent in my own culture may seem inappropriate in others.
- Abstain from the consumption of alcoholic beverages, the use of tobacco, or any adverse behavior as instructed while on the trip.
- To share my faith in an appropriate manner while on the mission field.