Organization Distribution Information/Plan
Research suggests that of distributed naloxone kits, approximately 80 – 90 percent of naloxone doses are administered by individuals actively using substances. Furthermore, risk of overdose is highest among certain populations, including:
• individuals who have reduced tolerance of opioids (e.g., after leaving incarceration or abstinence-based treatment; post-partum women who have stopped using; people who have gone through withdrawal)
• individuals using opioids intravenously
• individuals who have previously experienced an opioid overdose
• individuals using opioids with certain other substances
• individuals with opioid use disorder and complex co-occurring medical conditions.