Downtown Odessa, Inc. is the Advisory Agency for the Odessa Development Corporation and City of Odessa to administer and process applications for Infrastructure and Building Facade Improvement Downtown Economic Development Incentives. Applications must meet all of the eligibility requirements and satisfy the requirements that the project, on a case by case basis, supports the economic development incentives to be granted. For those reasons, it is important that the application be submitted completely and accurately. Please answer all questions fully. Applications received that do not follow the guidelines will not be accepted. If the question is not applicable to your request, please indicate by "NA". There is no actual or implied commitment of Downtown Odessa, Inc. or the City of Odessa until such project is approved by the City Council.
Downtown Odessa, Inc.
119 W. 4th St.
Odessa, TX 79761
**Final Approval by City Council for Downtown Building Infrastructure Improvement funds must be made prior to any work being performed**
Sponsored by: The City of Odessa, Odessa Development Corporation (“ODC”) and Downtown Odessa, Inc.
Purpose: The Downtown Infrastructure Improvement Program is designed to encourage businesses to promote or develop new or expanded business enterprises in the Odessa Downtown area pursuant to 501.103 Texas Local Government Code.
Incentive: The Downtown Infrastructure Improvement Program is a 4 tiered reimbursement grant and shall be determined on a case by case basis for infrastructure improvements. Based on the tiered system, the applicant will be reimbursed up to 50%, but not more than $200,000 of the total project cost for a Qualifying Infrastructure Project. Owner of lessee is responsible for at least 50% of total project cost.
Boundaries: The Downtown boundaries are 1st Street, Adams Avenue, 10th Street and Bernice Avenue, and grants are available only for property within these boundaries. The amount of grant funds available shall be determined based on location of the property in accordance with the following tiered system:
- Tier 1: 100% of the 50% of grant funds shall be available for properties located within the boundaries of 1st Street, N. Tom Green Ave., 9th Street, N. Washington Ave.;
- Tier 2: 75% of the 50% of grant funds shall be available for properties located outside the boundaries of Tier 1 but still within the downtown boundaries as described above;
View a map here: Downtown Incentive Grant Tier Map
Discretion: The provision of incentives to any person or entity and the type, extent, and amount of such incentives is determined on a case-by-case basis at the discretion of Downtown Odessa, Inc. (“DOI”), the Odessa Development Corporation (“ODC”), and the City Council.
Infrastructure: A “Qualifying Infrastructure Project” means planned improvements, repairs, or remediations that are necessary to meet City Code requirements in order to promote or expand business enterprises, including but not limited to the following: environmental remediation, water-sewer-electric or gas utilities, fire suppression systems, and other approved site improvements necessary to satisfy code requirements. Housing and projects for the general infrastructure needs of the city and not for the promotion and development of new or expanded business are not eligible.
Application for Funding: Applications for Downtown Infrastructure Improvement Grants will be available from Downtown Odessa, Inc. Applications shall first be presented to the Downtown Design Review Board to determine if the project meets the program criteria and design guidelines. Once approved by the Design Review Board, successful applications shall be presented to the ODC Board of Directors for approval. Applications approved by the ODC Board shall be presented to the City Council for final approval. All grant funds are available on a cost reimbursement basis only. No funds will be paid "up front" or advanced prior to the completed construction.
Guidelines: The following guidelines are applicable to the Downtown Infrastructure Improvement Program:
1. Improvements shall be made in conformance with all applicable building codes, laws and zoning requirements. Further, improvements for buildings which are located on properties with outstanding property taxes or City-related liens are not eligible for incentive funding.
2. Grantee shall invest at least 50% of their own funds in the project. The applicant will be reimbursed up to 50%, but not more than $200,000, toward the total project cost for a Qualifying Infrastructure Project.
3. Infrastructure subject to reimbursement includes interior ADA requirements, Fire Codes, Building Codes, approved infrastructure projects that are specifically designed to bring the buildings up to City Code requirements and to meet the needs of any business. Business specific improvements, including but not limited to improvements such as kitchen equipment, will not be eligible.
4. Each project shall be reviewed for qualification on an individual basis.
5. Fire Code required Sprinkler Systems shall always qualify as a reimbursable infrastructure cost.
6. Eligible infrastructure costs shall be reimbursed upon completion of the project by the Applicant, the submission of the required paperwork for a compliance audit, and the issuance of a certificate of occupancy.
7. Applicant whether lessee or owner, that is only intending to use a portion of a building may apply for the portion that they intend to use without requiring them to do infrastructure for the entire property. However, applicant, whether lessee or owner, intending to make use of either a portion of the building or the entire building or structure, shall be limited to 1 (one) Downtown Infrastructure Improvement application for all eligible infrastructure improvements in that building or structure.
8. So long as the lessee has permission to make improvements that qualify under the grant, then no additional restrictions shall apply solely because the applicant is a lessee.
9. Regardless of whether the Applicant is the owner of the property or the lessee, the building owner must maintain ownership throughout the application and construction phases and the property shall not be listed for sale or the property shall be deemed ineligible and any grant agreements shall be cancelled.
10. Applicants must supply a complete business plan, including financial projections, with their application. Applicants may work with UTPB Small Business Development Center in preparing the business plan. Business plans must be substantially in the format used by LivePlan. Exceptions to this requirement are as follows:
Applicants who have at least three (3) years of experience in the industry
for which the grant is being applied;
Expansion projects for businesses that have operated continuously for at
least three (3) years; or
New locations of existing businesses that have operated continuously for at
least three (3) years.
I, the undersigned applicant, acknowledge that I am applying for a grant through Downtown Odessa, Inc., and that this application is only the first step of this process.
I understand and acknowledge that once my application is complete, it must be approved by the Downtown Design Review Board, by the Board of Directors of the Odessa Development Corporation, and then by the City Council of the City of Odessa.
I understand and acknowledge that not all qualifying projects receive funding and that even if my project meets all the design qualifications, it may not be approved.
I understand and acknowledge that any work I have completed or funds I have expended prior to the date of final approval of my application by the Odessa City Council is not eligible for reimbursement or inclusion under this program.
I understand and acknowledge that the available funds under this program are limited and not all projects will be funded.
I further understand and acknowledge that my participation in this program is voluntary and I waive any and all liability or claims I may have or may arise in association with my participation in this program on the part of Downtown Odessa, Inc., the Odessa Development Corporation, and the City of Odessa.
Please sign and date below to agree that you have read and understand the above information.