In partnership with the City of Fort Wayne Public Art Commission, Jefferson Pointe is conducting a contest to award four local muralists the opportunity to paint a mural on a designated wall at the shopping center. Designs will be voted on by the public to determine the four murals that will be installed!
The goal of this project is to further activate this walkway with bright and cheerful artwork. Murals should account for the scale and scope of the site. Extra consideration will be given to designs that are experiential—creating Instagram-evoking moments. Artists may include verbiage in their design. Murals should be family friendly; murals depicting violence, salacious imagery, expletives or hate speech will not be considered. Submitted designs may not include logos, brand names, or other copyrighted or trademarked material.
JEFFERSON POINTE, 4130 W Jefferson Blvd., Fort Wayne, IN 46804
~13’ wide x 15’ at highest point. These four arched mural sites are on a south-facing exterior wall near Eddie Bauer at Jefferson Pointe in Fort Wayne, IN. The mural is meant to cover the entire inset arched space. The surrounding trim, brick, ledge, and maroon stucco may not be painted. A sidewalk runs in front of the four mural sites (image 2), and there is a rail that separates the pedestrian sidewalk from the vehicular drive that runs through the mall. (Please see template and specifications below).
This project requires the use of high quality exterior acrylic paint and/or Montana spray paint or compatible brand. Artists are responsible for the purchase and management of their own supplies. Lifts are not permissible for this project. Ladders and rolling bakers scaffolding are permitted. Artists are responsible for making a best effort to prevent spillage, drips and overspray.
EACH ARCH has an allocated artist stipend of $2,000.00. Upon signing the mural contract and waivers, the artist will receive one fourth (25%) of the artist stipend; this allows the artist to purchase their supplies. Upon completion of the mural and, subject to a final review, the artist will receive the remaining three fourths (75%) of the artist stipend. Travel, lodging and food will not be paid for by the program.
Artist is responsible for purchasing their own supplies, which includes tarping off the site to prevent overspray/spillage, ladders or scaffolding, paint, and other miscellaneous supplies.
MURAL CONTEST TIMELINE: APRIL 2021 - JULY 2021
OPEN-CALL APPLICATION LAUNCHED: APRIL 16, 2021
PHASE I DEADLINE for ENTRY is midnight on Monday, MAY 17, 2021
PHASE I APPLICANT NOTIFICATION: MAY 2021
PHASE II: Public votes for their favorite design submissions, MAY – JUNE 2021
PHASE II SELECTED DESIGNS ANNOUNCED: JULY 2021
INSTALLATION: JULY 18 – JULY 24, 2021
MURAL CONTEST SELECTION PROCESS
PHASE I April 16 – May 17, 2021
· All submissions will be reviewed by a jury.
· Not all submissions will move forward into Phase II.
· All applicants will receive status notification in MAY 2021.
· If a suitable application is not received, the project will not move forward, and timeline is subject to change.
PHASE II May - July 2021
· Top scoring designs will move forward to Phase II in the mural contest.
· From May – June 2021, the public will be invited to vote on their favorite mural designs!
· All Phase II applicants will receive notification of Phase II selection in July 2021.
· Installation must be scheduled: July 18 – July 24, 2021. The artist is required to complete the mural within this timeline.
Selected artist(s) will sign an indemnification agreement and a hold harmless waiver. Selected artist(s) will sign a mural contract with Red Development. Selected artist(s) will sign a photo release waiver. Selected artist(s) may be asked to provide proof of insurance.
o Applicants must be 18 or older
o Applicants must submit a w-9 with their application
o Applicants must submit two previous work examples identifying medium and size of the work
o Applicants must submit one jpeg image of concept artwork
o Applicants may only submit ONE design for this project
o Applicants MUST be able to install their work during the week of JULY 18 – JULY 24, 2021
RED Development provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
PRINT THE PROSPECTUS HERE
PRINT THE WALL TEMPLATE HERE
Questions about this project should be directed to Alex Hall.