This agreement is entered into this date by and between Adopt-A-Dog and the applicant (“Adopter”) for the adoption of the above identified rescue dog (“the dog”).
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. Adopter agrees the dog is to be a family companion and agrees to provide the dog with a safe home, adequate food, water, proper care, exercise, love and attention. Adopter agrees not to violate any federal, state, or local laws or ordinances with the dog. The dog is not to be used as an attack or protection trained dog and will not be used for commercial guard work.
2. Adopter agrees to keep a buckle collar on the dog with ID tag, current rabies tag and town dog license. The dog is only to have a choke collar on during training and walks. If at any time the dog is lost, stolen, hurt or killed, the Adopter is to notify Adopt-A-Dog immediately via writing.
3. Adopter agrees that the dog will be confined inside the home when no one is at home. When the Adopter is to go away for a prolonged period of time or vacation, Adopter is to pre-arrange proper care for the dog.
4. The dog is not to ride loose in the bed of pickup trucks, convertibles or to be left in a car when air temperatures exceed 65 degrees.
5. Adopter agrees to have a clean, secure fenced area for the dog. If a fenced enclosure is not available, Adopter agrees to leash walk dog. If Adopter uses invisible fencing, the dog is to be sufficiently trained before releasing it inside the system. Under no circumstances is the dog to be kept routinely on a runner or tie out.
6. Adopter agrees to have the dog examined by a licensed veterinarian at least once each year and provide for all vaccinations and treatments necessary to ensure good health. If euthanasia becomes necessary as determined by a licensed veterinarian, Adopter agrees to have it performed by such a licensed veterinarian. Adopter agrees to give monthly Heartworm, flea and tick preventative medication.
7. Adopter agrees to notify Adopt-A-Dog of change in address/phone number within two weeks of such change.
8. Adopt-A-Dog makes no guarantees or statements regarding the dog's age, breed, health, or temperament. While Adopt-A-Dog made every effort to provide accurate history and assessment of the dog, we are not able to guarantee the dog’s age, breed, medical status, behavior or disposition. No one can predict how any dog will react in a given situation, especially without complete knowledge of its background, as in the case with a rescued dog. The adopter(s) acknowledge this. Therefore, the adopter(s) are encouraged to exercise caution in introducing an adopted dog to new situations, family members, other pets, and visitors. The enthusiastic reactions of some children to dogs can often frighten the dog. It is strongly recommended that a responsible adult monitor the interaction between dogs and children at all times.
9. There have not been nor can there be made explicit or implied guarantees or warranties regarding the temperament, behavior or physical condition either of the adopted dog or of its freedom from genetic defects. The dog is adopted "as is" and the adopter(s) assumes all responsibility for treatment of any and all existing conditions or any other conditions, physical or temperamental, that may occur.
10. The adopter(s) hereby acknowledges, understands, promises and agrees to hold harmless and indemnify the rescuers from any and all claims, demands, actions, causes of actions, or liability of any kind whatsoever arising out of or in connection with this adoption/foster.
11. Please be advised that Adopt-A-Dog and its associates will be not be held responsible or liable for the actions of any dog when not in our immediate care and custody or when the Adopter takes physical possession of the dog(s). All dogs adopted and or fostered are the sole responsibility of the care provider signed below. By signing this document electronically or physically, the signer, which shall also include all family members, all residents, and all occupants who share the domicile and/or residence of the signer, understands and agrees to Hold Harmless “Adopt-A-Dog” and its associates from any and all Liabilities pertaining to the actions of the above mentioned dog. The below signed also acknowledges and accepts all the risks involved in the handling of this or any dog as “Adopt-A-Dog” specifically makes no representations or guarantees, express or implied, as to the lack thereof of the dog(s)’(s) violent propensities.
12. Adopt-A-Dog is available for consultation, advice and assistance pertaining to the health, training and compatibility of the dog. Adopter agrees to release Adopt-A-Dog and its members or representatives of any and all possible claims arising from injury or damage caused by the dog to any person or property. Adopter accepts this dog as is with all defects, either observable or unobservable, and assumes all risk for the dog upon signing of this contract.
13. If for whatever reason, including but not limited to: health reasons of the dog or Adopter, social reasons of the dog or Adopter, and issues of residency, the Adopter is unable to keep this dog for its entire life, the Adopter MUST return the dog to Adopt-A-Dog within 5 days of written demand to Adopter by Adopt-A-Dog. Furthermore, should Adopter wish to euthanize any dog for reasons due to health, sickness and/or age, prior to so doing, Adopter MUST first inform Adopt-A-Dog of same in writing. Should Adopt-A-Dog wish to obtain possession of the dog prior the euthanasia of same, Adopter must return the dog to Adopt-A-Dog within 5 days of written demand.
14. Adopter agrees not to give away, sell or dispose of the dog without express written consent of Adopt-A-Dog.
15. Adopter will allow Adopt-A-Dog to conduct home visits and phone check-ins at their discretion after adoption in order to check on the dog’s welfare up to 1 year after date of adoption.
16. Adopter agrees that puppies younger than 1 year will be enrolled in Obedience Training within 30 days of adoption.
17. In the event this contract, including all its covenants and conditions, is breached by Adopter, Adopt-A-Dog has the right to rescind this contract and demand return of the dog at any time. If Adopter fails to return the dog within 5 days of written demand to Adopter, Adopt-A-Dog will seek a Court Order for return of the dog and seek liquidated damages from the Adopter in the amount of at least $5,000.00 plus any court costs or attorney’s fees. Payment of damages shall not excuse Adopter from returning the dog to Adopt-A-Dog.
18. This agreement shall inure to the benefit of and be binding upon Adopter and Adopt-A-Dog and their successors or beneficiaries. Both parties have fully read and understood all of the agreement, which sets forth all promises, conditions, and understandings, oral or written.
19. Any disputes between the parties are to be resolved in a court of law in the State of New York venued in Westchester County and shall be resolved in accordance with the laws of the State of New York. 20. By emailing this adoption contract on behalf of any dog in Adopt-A-Dog’s care, adoptee’s electronic submission/signature is considered binding.