The purpose of the Jr. Boom program is to develop your mental, physical, and emotional abilities as a basketball player and to enhance your opportunities to play at a higher level if you so desire. In order to meet this goal, certain personal sacrifices must be made; sacrifices that show a commitment to this program and the team.
These commitments include:
1. To work consistently toward higher individual techniques and team goals.
2. Complete dedication to the team as a whole.
3. Wholehearted participation in practice sessions, games and tournaments.
As a Jr. Boom player and student athlete......
- I will learn how to set goals, always strive to achieve them, and develop a lifestyle that will produce success on and off the court.
I will make academics my absolute first priority. Practice schedules are established well in advance so players are able to plan for study time accordingly. All players are required to maintain a 3.0 GPA in order to participate in practices and other organization events.
I will be present at every practice and game, unless I am sick, injured, have a medical appointment, have a family emergency, religious activities or I am participant in a school sponsored event. I realize that missing practices or games lets my team down and will result in a loss of playing time. Players with an excessive number of unexcused absences will be recommended for suspension or removed from the team. It is important for players and parents to communicate with coaches in advance regarding schedule conflicts.
Scheduled practice time is start time; not arrival time. I will arrive early or at the coach’s designated time and be ready to practice or compete in a tournament. Those players arriving late will be required to complete additional conditioning.
I will always exhibit a positive attitude towards parents, fellow players and the coaching staff. Coaches will not tolerate disruptive attitudes. In severe cases players will be recommended for removal from the team.
- I will overcome the urge to complain, think negative, backstab, take part in cliques, act selfishly, or engage in any activities that disrupt team chemistry.
- I will work hard to tell the truth in my interactions with my teammates and coaches.
- I will be loyal to my teammates, to my coach, and to my program.
- I will work to resolve conflicts at the lowest level. Misunderstandings and conflicts are an inevitable part of any group activity, and maturing means learning to deal with these in an appropriate manner.
- I will learn the principle of positive reinforcement and apply them in practice and game and help my teammates succeed.
- I will comply with the acknowledgment rule at all time (using good listening, verbalization, and eye-contact skills).
- I will eliminate the use of obscenities during practice and games.
- I will accept the decisions of the coaching staff regarding playing time and I will support my teammates when I am not in a game.
RESPONSIBILITY TO TEAMMATES:
Basketball is a team sport, I will have an obligation to my teammates to abide by the rules.
- I will be accountable for all team requirements (e.g., being on time, doing my share of off court team duties and I will do these with a sense of pride to support the team.
- I will learn to be aware of the effect of my mood swings on people around me and to keep these swings within a reasonable variance and let the coaches know when I have external problems that may affect my performance and the team.
- We do not guarantee equal playing time on any team or at any event.
- Jr. Boom has the philosophy that what you pay for is instruction time during practices.
- Playing time for athletes is determined by attendance, attitude, effort, performance, the athlete's potential, the team's needs at the moment, and the team's needs in the future, and is left solely to the discretion of the Jr. Boom Coaching staff.
- The "coaching decision" is not up for debate or question. It is the athlete's responsibility to ask what they can improve on to get more playing time. Athletes will be expected to play in any position to benefit team performance.
It is critically important that we take care of our facilities. This means taking care of equipment and cleaning up garbage, water bottles before you leave so that you leave the gym cleaner than it was when you arrived.