Home Brew Competition Guidelines:
Saturday, June 26, 2021, Mississippi Alehouse and Backwater Brewing Co. will hold a Home Brew Competition. Entries are $10 per category. Payment must be submitted upon entry via Venmo @mississippialehouse (please put Home Brew Competition in comments).
Beer entries must be dropped off at Mississippi Alehouse no later than June 23, 2021.
In this competition, we are focusing on summer beer styles.
Once judging is complete, there will be awards for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place in each Beer/Style Category, as well 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Best of Show. The Best of Show winner will be determined based upon the initial score that was received during judging.
1st place Best of Show winner will be invited to brew their winning beer recipe with Backwater Brewing Co.
There will also be a People's Choice category where the general public will judge. Please bring at least ten (10) 12oz bottles or the equivalent of 120oz to the event on June 26, if you wish to compete for People's Choice.
Home Brew Competition Rules:
1. Open to any amateur home brewer, 21 years or older.
2. No exhibitor shall be involved in commercial beer making or use the services of a commercial beer making facility.
3. Each brewer will be limited to 5 entries.
4. Two (2) bottles per entry. Each bottle must be labeled (paper label attached to the bottle with a rubber band, do NOT stick or tape labels to the bottles) with the following: (1) Name of beer, (2) Category, (3) Brewer's Name
5. The decision of the judges shall be final.
6. All exhibitors will receive a standard BJCP score sheet for each beer entered from at least two judges.
7. Some recipes are more challenging and complex to brew commercially, the Mississippi Alehouse and Backwater Brewing Co. reserve the right to choose 2nd or 3rd Best of Show beer to be brewed by Backwater Brewing Co. based upon the recipe.
8. Beer must be dropped off at Mississippi Alehouse for judging NO LATER THAN June 23, 2021.
*If you're not sure what category to submit your beer, please reach out to Mississippi Alehouse or Backwater Brewing Co. via social media or email*
For Your Information:
• We prefer 12-16oz bottles, but will accept any bottle over 12oz; growlers are acceptable (all bottles must be free of paper labels). Cover any lettering or graphics on the cap with a permanent black marker. Bottles not meeting these requirements may be disqualified. Our primary concern is to ensure the anonymity of the entries when they are being judged.
• We would like to emphasize that the 2015 BJCP guidelines listed in the style chart are just that – guidelines. We have provided the chart so you can decide the category in which your brew will perform best because judges will use these guidelines when evaluating your entry. You will not be disqualified if your beer falls somewhat outside of the category guidelines listed, but your overall score may suffer. If you wish to see written guidelines explaining the categories in greater detail, please refer to the Beer Judge Certification Program website at: http://www.bjcp.org/stylecenter.php
• Good source of information: http://www.homebrewersassociation.org
Depending on the number of entries, some categories may be combined with others or split into multiple categories.
Please reach out to Mississippi Alehouse or Backwater Brewing Co. via social media or email mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns.
We are looking forward to this competition and can't wait to sample your beer!