Please fill out the application below to apply for a summer organizer position. A representative from the interview committee in your local will contact you soon to schedule an interview.
Our union is looking for motivated members to become part of our summer organizing program. Position qualifications include:
- Be a dues-paying member of our union
- Self-motivated and self-directed
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work flexible hours for an entire 8-week program
Members will take the next step in developing organizing skills to build a strong, social justice union that advocates for the schools our students deserve. Members will also conduct organizing conversations with members and potential members to:
- Recruit and engage members
- Identify issues around which to organize our union
- Identify leaders to become involved in the union
- Plan events for members and potential members
Organizers will be provided a weekly stipend of $600 for eight weeks starting the week of July 10 and ending the week of August 28. Organizers will be expected to work 20 hours a week.
A 2-day training on July 10 and July 11 will be required in person at the KEA office.
Candidates interested in this position should possess the following:
- Comfort having conversations with fellow educators
- Skill in active listening
- Ability to ask good questions
- Motivation to organize for the schools our students deserve
Roles and Responsibilities:
Organizers will be expected to spend 20 hours per week performing organizing activities. These activities will include:
- One-on-one conversations
- Phone Banking
- Planning and executing events
- Weekly team meetings
- Attending new teacher orientation event(s)
This is a great paid summer opportunity for flexible hours, while learning and sharing more about your union!