Athenian Manicurist Internship Program
- Who is eligible?
- Current and prospective nail technology students seeking to develop their skills through a combination of classroom and on-the-job experience.
- Must meet eligibility for prospective licensure as a manicurist pursuant to Tennessee State Board of Cosmetology and Barber Examiners as of the date of acceptance. More information on license requirements may be found at https://www.tn.gov/commerce/regboards/cosmo/licensee-applicant-resources.
- Must be able to commit to a 6 month full or part-time curriculum in addition to external industry training and experience, followed by a 18 month paid internship contract.
- Eligibility may be subject to change.
Requirements of internship position and scholarship recipients
- Requirements of the internship position:
- Must be enrolled either full or part-time in an approved course of study.
- Must be able to commit 12 hours per week to on-the-job experience during the theory portion of the curriculum. This time will not be compensated.
- Must be able to commit 20 hours per week during the practical/apprenticeship phase of the curriculum. This time will not be compensated; however educational hours will be accrued, and you will be able to receive gratuities from any clients serviced.
- Required Academic Credit
- You must be enrolled in at least part-time status as funds are distributed via the scholarship fund.
- Expectations of recipients:
- Upon completion of the internship, you must submit a reflection paper that includes an overview of your experience, what you learned through the program, and how the internship impacted your career plans. Students may also be asked to serve on internship panels that Athenian sponsors in the future.
If you receive grants and scholarships that total more than the cost of tuition and books, you must report the excess as income on your tax return. Consult an accountant for more information.
What is the Internship Scholar Program?
The Internship Scholar Program provides a low to no-cost option for those pursuing a career in the nail service industry. Participants will complete a combination of both in-class instruction and on-site experience in a professional, high-volume salon atmosphere.
- Phase I: Theory & In-class Instruction
- Participants will complete 300 hours of direct education related to the fundamental theory, physiology, and safety precautions related to nail care. All training will be provided by licensed instructors in a traditional classroom setting and/or online components.
- Program participants will schedule a minimum of 12 hours per week at an Athenian salon location to gain practical exposure to the operation and atmosphere.
- Students will NOT be permitted to perform any service-related tasks during this phase.
- Interns will assist salon management with general shop upkeep (greeting clients, linens, etc) and may shadow staff.
- These hours will NOT count toward educational requirements.
- Phase II: Practical & Apprenticeship
- Participants will complete 300 hours of educational training through a combination of in-class, online, and on-site experience under the supervision of licensed instructors and mentors.
- Participants will be required to schedule a minimum of 20 hours per week at an Athenian salon location.
- Interns WILL be permitted to perform some services on clients during this phase under the direct supervision of a licensed instructor/mentor. No payments will be made for these services, however interns are permitted to receive gratuities.
- Required educational hours will accrue during this time and will be tracked and reported to the educational institution and State Board of Cosmetology.
- Mentors will complete a weekly report of progress and areas of improvement, along with services performed and related metrics.
- Phase III: Licensure & Paid Internship
- Upon successful completion of all coursework and hours, students will prepare for graduation and licensure through the Tennessee State Board of Cosmetology.
- Participants will work directly with Athenian’s test-prep coordinator to assemble all necessary supplies and materials required for examination, along with useful tips and advice on how to prepare.
- Once fully licensed, participants will be paid an internship commission rate of up to 50%, based on participant’s ability to perform services with minimal supervision by mentors and staff.
- Following the internship period, interns will be offered a permenant staff manicurist position at current market rates based on experience and quality of work.
What is the scholarship amount?
- Scholarship amounts vary up to $9,500 based on the budget you provide.
- Funds are not awarded for tuition for additional classes you wish to take during the summer, beyond the course that gives you academic credit for the internship.
What if I am unable to complete the program?
- If you are accepted into the program, but unable to complete the program through no fault of your own, such you would NOT be able to reasonably resume the program within 24mo, any tutions owed may be discharged at the discretion of administrative staff.
- If you are accepted into the program, but unable to complete due to poor performance, attendance, professionalism, or any violations of either salon/institutional/state/local rules, policies, or regulations, any scheduled scholarship payments would immediately cease, and you may be responsible for any remaining tuitions owed.
What is the selection process?
- Although multiple scholarships are awarded, the application is selective, and applicants are not guaranteed a scholarship on the basis of applying.
- Our selection committee consists of the Athenian executive staff, as well as other internship coordinators throughout the program.
- Multiple criteria, including GPA, need, quality and thoughtfulness of application answers, explanation of career objectives, and staff recommendation are considered.
- Financial need is considered, but not required.
How are these scholarships funded?
- Funds for the scholarship are contributed by Athenian Brands and our corporate partners at Fresh Hospitality to help develop a well-trained and confident workforce while also providing opportunities for lifelong personal and professional growth to those in our community. We may also accept donations from other businesses and individuals to help support the fund.
Will there be guaranteed job placement following the internship?
- Following successful completion of the Internship program, participants will be offered a contract as a fully-licensed nail technician on a independent contractor basis at current qualifying commission rates. Contract terms will be discussed upon completion and may be tailored to fit each participant’s specific needs and career goals. Salaried management and operational positions may also be available.