Expression of Interest for Renew Docklands - Shopfront Activation Program
In partnership with the City of Melbourne and the Victorian State Government, Renew Australia is set to revitalise the Docklands as part of the City’s new Shopfront Activation Program. Renew Australia will work with the City, the local community, property owners and representatives to transform empty shopfronts into creative spaces, bespoke displays and fledgling retail spaces. The Renew Docklands Project aims to enliven this iconic part of Melbourne that currently faces serious long-term economic challenges. The Shopfront Activation Program is designed to rejuvenate areas experiencing significant commercial vacancy through increased foot traffic and activity, whilst supporting Melbourne’s local creative and entrepreneurial communities. By advocating for, and developing projects that will draw people back into this area and its businesses, the Renew Docklands Project will not only provide opportunities for local creative industries to trial their ideas, but also benefit existing local businesses. The program will target both the Victoria Harbour and New Quay areas within Melbourne’s Docklands. Individuals, managing agents or property owners with vacant or underutilised spaces within the area are encouraged to contact Renew Australia – we would love to hear from you!
1. First Name
3. Trading / Group / Collective / Shop Name
4. Contact number
6. Mailing Address
7. Please provide Web links to your website, blog or socials, as relevant to the project proposal.
8. Provide a brief background on you. Tell us who you are, what you do, what is your experience? We want to get a feel for who is proposing the idea (1-2 paragraphs).
9. Provide a description of the project - tell us what you want to do in the space (1-3 paragraphs).
10. Have you or your team members completed NEIS program?
Running a small business can be exciting but also challenging; we find that a lot of our applicants and participants benefit from participating and or completing the New Enterprise Incentive Scheme (NEIS program).
11. Are you a Not-for-profit or Social Enterprise organisation?
Not For Profit
12. Are you looking for a short-term or long-term tenancy?
13. Will you seek to host events or workshops as part of your project?
14. Provide a description of the project - tell us what you want to do in the space (1-3 paragraphs).
15. Is there anyone else who may be directly involved in delivering the project? Please provide name, role, and a brief background (1-2 lines).
16. Which best describes the type of space you require for your project?
17. Do you require a particular attribute in a space for your project?
18. Please give examples of why your selected attributes are important to your project.
19. What are the proposed opening days / hours? As a rule, our spaces are expected to be open more often than closed - ie. open AT LEAST 4 days per week.
20. When are you available to start your project in a space? We can't promise that we can place a project at a particular time, but we are interested to see if you are ready to take up a space as soon as it becomes available.
21. As Renew Docklands is a 'rent free' program we have a 'complement not compete policy' with the existing traders in the area and immediate surrounds. What makes your offer different from similar shops, spaces or practices in the area?
22. Have you engaged with the Docklands in the past as a community member/trader/visitor/worker? If so, describe your experiences around the Docklands area.
23. How did you hear about Renew Docklands - Shop Activation Program?
Renew Docklands Facebook Page
Renew Australia Instagram page
Renew Australia Facebook Page
Renew Australia Website
Renew Fitzroy Street Facebook Page
Other Renew Australia Projects
Word of Mouth
Business or Traders Association
24. Are you currently receiving any funding from the State Government, City of Melbourne, or other?
Receiving funding and or grant will be looked at favourably, and will not negatively impact your application.
25. If you answered YES or OTHER in regards to receiving funding - please provide some details. For example, name of funding or grant, scale of project and the year below.
26. Please provide your postcode
27. Upload any supporting files
Please take time to read our Readiness Checklist
Should be Empty: