Home Brew Competition Guidelines:
Saturday, June 25, during Aleiversary at Mississippi Alehouse, Mississippi Alehouse will hold our 2nd annual Home Brew Competition. Entries are $10 per beer submission. Payment must be submitted upon entry via Venmo @mississippialehouse (please put Home Brew Competition in comments).
Beer entries must be dropped off at Mississippi Alehouse no later than June 22, 2022.
In this competition, we are focusing on all beer styles. We would like to emphasize the 2015 BJCP guidelines listed in the style chart. We have provided the chart so you can decide the category in which your beer will perform best because judges will use these guidelines when evaluating your entry. If you wish to see written guidelines explaining the categories in greater detail, please refer to the Beer Judge Certification Program website at: http://www.bjcp.org/stylecenter.php
Entries will be grouped into common style categories based off of the number of beers submitted. Once judging is complete, there will be awards for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place in each Beer/Style Category, as well 1st place overall Best of Show for the entire competition. The Best of Show winner will be determined based upon the initial score that was received during judging.
1st place Best of Show winner will be invited to brew their winning beer recipe with Mississippi Alehouse!
People's Choice Category:
There will also be a People's Choice Category where the general public will judge beer during Aleiversary on June 25. If you are interested in participating in the People's Choice Category, please bring at least ten (10) 12oz. bottles of your beer labeled with your name, beer name, and People's Choice when you drop off your beer entires. We ask that you attend the Aleiversary on June 25 so that you can go into greater detail about your beer at the event during People's Choice Judging.
Home Brew Competition Rules:
1. Open to any amateur home brewer, 21 years or older.
2. No exhibitor shall be involved in commercial beer making or use the services of a commercial beer making facility.
3. Each brewer will be limited to 5 entries.
4. Two (2) bottles per entry. Each bottle must be labeled (paper label attached to the bottle with a rubber band, do NOT stick or tape labels to the bottles) with the following: (1) Name of beer, (2) Style #, (3) Brewer's Name
5. The decision of the judges shall be final.
6. All exhibitors will receive an email, following the competition, with a standard BJCP score sheet for each beer entered from at least two judges.
7. Some recipes are more challenging and complex to brew commercially, the Mississippi Alehouse reserves the right to choose 2nd or 3rd Best of Show beer to be brewed by Mississippi Alehouse based upon the recipe.
8. Beer must be dropped off at Mississippi Alehouse for judging NO LATER THAN June 22, 2022.
*If you're not sure what category to submit your beer in, please reach out to Mississippi Alehouse via social media or email*
For Your Information:
• We prefer 12-16oz bottles, but will accept any bottle over 12oz; growlers are acceptable (all bottles must be free of paper labels). Cover any lettering or graphics on the cap with a permanent black marker. Bottles not meeting these requirements may be disqualified. Our primary concern is to ensure the anonymity of the entries when they are being judged.
• Good source of information: http://www.homebrewersassociation.org
Depending on the number of entries, some categories may be combined with others or split into multiple categories.
Please reach out to Mississippi Alehouse mailto:email@example.com with any questions or concerns.