Waiver, Release of Liability, Media Release, and Code of Conduct
Team River Runner, Inc., and its affiliated Chapters (“Released Parties”) are non-commercial, not for profit activity providers. The purpose of this agreement is to exempt, waive and relieve Released Parties from any and all liability for wrongful death, personal injury, and property damage, including, but not limited to, liability arising from the negligence of Released Parties. “Released Parties” include Team River Runner, Inc., and their representatives, administrators, directors, agents, coaches, employees, and volunteers; other participants, grantors, sponsoring agencies, sponsors, and advertisers; and, if applicable, the owners, operators, and lessors of premises on which the activities or events take place.
In consideration of the undersigned Participant being allowed to participate in any way in Team River Runner, Inc. and/or related events and activities, the Undersigned (“Undersigned” means the Participant, personal representatives, assigns, heirs, and next of kin or the Participant’s parent, legal guardian, or legal representative when the Participant is under the age of 18 or legally incapacitated) agrees and acknowledges as follows:
1. ACKNOWLEDGE, agree, and represent that I understand the nature of paddle sports and related activities and that I am qualified, in good health, in proper physical condition to participate in such activity and willingly agree to comply with the stated and customary terms and conditions of participation. I further agree and warrant that if at any time I warrant conditions to be unsafe, I will immediately discontinue further participation in the Activity. If I decide to leave early and not compete the trip as planned, I assume all risks inherent in my decision to leave.
2. FULLY UNDERSTAND that: (a) Paddle sports and related ACTIVITIES INVOLVE RISKS AND DANGER OF DAMAGE TO PERSONAL PROPERTY AND SERIOUS BODILY INJURY, INCLUDING PERMANENT DISABILITY, PARALYSIS, AND DEATH (“RISKS”); (b) these Risks and dangers may be caused by my own actions or inactions, the actions or inactions of others participating in the Activity, the condition in which the Activity takes place, or the NEGLIGENCE OF THE “RELEASEES” NAMED BELOW, (c) there may be OTHER RISKS AND SOCIAL AND ECONOMIC LOSSES either not known to me or not readily foreseeable at this time; and I FULLY ACCEPT AND ASSUME ALL SUCH RISKS AND ALL RESPONSIBILITY FOR A LOSSES, COSTS, AND DAMAGES I incur as a result of my participation or that of the minor in the activity.
3. HEREBY RELEASE, DISCHARGE, AND COVENANT NOT TO SUE Team River Runner, Inc., and their representatives, administrators, directors, agents, coaches, employees, and volunteers; other participants, grantors, sponsoring agencies, sponsors, advertisers, other participants; and, if applicable, the owners, operators, and lessors of premises on which the activities or events take place (each considered one of the “RELEASEES” herein) FROM ALL LIABILITY, CLAIMS, DEMANDS, LOSSES, INJURIES, DAMAGE TO PROPERTY, OR OTHER DAMAGES ON MY ACCOUNT CAUSED OR ALLEGED TO BE CAUSED IN WHOLE OR IN PART BY THE NEGLIGENCE OF THE “RELEASEES” OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING NEGLIGENT RESCUE OPERATIONS; AND I FURTHER AGREE that if, despite this RELEASE AND WAIVER OF LIABILITY, ASSUMPTION OF RISK, AND INDEMNITY AGREEMENT I, or anyone on my behalf, makes a claim on any of the Releasees, I WILL INDEMNIFY, SAVE, AND HOLD HARMLESS EACH OF THE RELEASEES from any litigation expenses, attorney fees, loss, liability, damage, or cost which any may incur as the result of such claim.
4. Life Jacket Use. Undersigned agrees that Participant shall wear a life jacket when participating in any water-based boating activity. Undersigned understands that not wearing a life jacket is the leading cause of drowning for boating incidents and in many states is required by law. Undersigned agrees to assume full responsibility for complying with this paragraph and that Released Parties shall not be liable for any injury or damages resulting from Participant’s failure to wear a life jacket.
5. Helmet Use. Undersigned agrees that Participant shall use a helmet when participating in the following activities: Alpine skiing, cycling, equestrian, ice hockey, outdoor rock climbing, snowboarding, white water kayaking, white water river rafting, and any other activity when directed by Released Parties. Undersigned understands that a helmet is in no way a guarantee of safety and that no helmet can protect the wearer against all foreseeable impacts to the head, and that the activities can expose the Participant to forces that exceed the limits of protection provided by a helmet. Undersigned agrees to assume full responsibility for complying with this paragraph and that Released Parties shall not be liable for any injury or damages resulting from Participant’s failure to use a helmet.
6. Infectious Diseases. Participation includes possible exposure to and illness from infectious diseases including but not limited to MRSA, influenza, and COVID-19. While particular rules and personal discipline may reduce this risk, the risk of serious illness and death does exist; and, I KNOWINGLY AND FREELY ASSUME ALL SUCH RISKS, both known and unknown, EVEN IF ARISING FROM THE NEGLIGENCE OF THE RELEASEES or others, and assume full responsibility for my participation; and, I willingly agree to comply with the stated and customary terms and conditions for participation as regards protection against infectious diseases. If, however, I observe and any unusual or significant hazard during my presence or participation, I will remove myself from participation and bring such to the attention of the nearest official immediately.
7. Miscellaneous. Undersigned agrees (a) Participant will not engage in any activities prohibited by any applicable laws, statutes, regulations and ordinances; (b) this agreement shall be governed by the laws of the State of Maryland and the exclusive jurisdiction and venue for any claim shall be located in the state courts located in Montgomery County, MD; and (c) this agreement shall be binding upon the subrogors, distributors, heirs, next of kin, executors, and personal representatives of the Undersigned.
I have carefully read this agreement and understand its contents. I am aware that I am releasing legal rights that otherwise may exist.
MEDIA RELEASE FORM
MEDIA/PHOTO WAIVER: Undersigned authorizes and gives full consent to Released Parties to copyright and publish for public view any and all photographs, digital recordings, videotapes and film in which Participant appears. Undersigned agrees that Released Parties may transfer, use, or cause to be used, these digital recordings, photographs, videotapes, and films for any exhibitions, public displays, publications, commercials, art and advertising purposes, television programs, and internet without limitations or reservations.
Team River Runner Code of Conduct Policy
Team River Runner (TRR) is committed to supporting the health and healing of our veterans through paddle sports. A feeling of safety and belonging is critical to an individual’s ability to heal and to thrive in their community. In order for us to provide the safest and most welcoming environment, all participants, volunteers, leadership, and other staff are expected to abide by the code of conduct outlined below.
I will be respectful, courteous, and kind in my communication.
I will be accountable when I make mistakes and I will take swift action to make amends and apologize.
I will treat all participants and volunteers with dignity and respect and will try to make them feel welcome and included regardless of who they are.
I will respect and accept all leadership decisions while participating in events.
I will refrain from aggressive, intimidating, threatening, or physically assaultive behavior toward any individual.
I will treat all TRR equipment with respect and will not intentionally misuse, abuse, or damage equipment.
I will not participate in hazing, bullying, harassment, or discrimination of ANY kind.
I will refrain from what may be perceived as sexual or gender-related harassment including inappropriate touching, sexually explicit or suggestive language, and offensive jokes.
I will refrain from using what may be perceived as abusive, offensive, derogatory, or degrading language or jokes.
I will not engage in theft, vandalism, or any other illegal activity while participating in any TRR activity.
I will not engage in the use of any illegal drugs during TRR events.
I will not use alcohol or recreational cannabis prior to or during a paddling activity, or at any other time when such use may put myself or others at risk.
I will consider the impact of the use of alcohol or recreational cannabis, will only consume responsibly, and will be respectful of others for whom my consumption may be a trigger for relapse.
I will refrain from the ABUSE of alcohol, cannabis, or prescription drugs while participating in TRR events.
I will not bring firearms to TRR events.
When I am participating in TRR programs, I am a TRR ambassador to the community and my actions and language will reflect that.
Reporting of Misconduct
If I witness another person violating this policy, I will calmly and respectfully present it to the individual in charge of the event. If the issue is not resolved, I will speak directly with the TRR Chapter Coordinator. If the Chapter Coordinator is involved in the complaint or not available, I will contact the Regional Coordinator. If the Regional Coordinator is involved in the complaint or not available, I will contact the National Program Director.
Non-Retaliation Statement for Reports of Misconduct
All complaints of misconduct will be handled in as discreet and confidential a manner as is possible under the circumstances. No person will be adversely affected in their relationship with TRR as a result of submitting a complaint of misconduct.
I have read and understand the above policy. I understand that any violation of this policy will result in disciplinary action and that I may subsequently be asked to leave an event and/or be prohibited from participating in future TRR events.