WWS STUDENT iPad AND INTERNET USE RULES
Wishing Well Elementary Schools is deeply committed to technology as a vital tool for its students, teachers and parents.
We are very pleased to bring a wide range of technologies to students, staff and faculty at Wishing Well Schools. The iPads on our network are used to support the educational objectives of Wishing Well Schools. Use of this technology is a privilege and is subject to a variety of terms and conditions. Wishing Well Schools retains the right to change such terms and conditions at any time.
All students are responsible for their actions and activities involving the school iPad use and/or Internet Services, and for their iPad, iPad files, passwords and accounts. These rules provide general guidance concerning the use of the iPads and Internet services and examples of prohibited uses. The rules do not attempt to describe every possible prohibited activity; students, parents and school staff who have questions about whether a particular activity is prohibited are encouraged to contact Ms. Hobbs. These rules apply to all iPads and internet services regardless of how they are accessed.
A. Acceptable Use
1. Wishing Well Schools iPads and internet services are provided for educational purposes and research consistent with Wishing Well Schools’ educational mission, curriculum and instructional goals.
2. Students must comply with all school policies, school rules and expectations concerning student conduct and communications when using the school iPads and/or Internet services, whether on or off school property.
3. Students also must comply with all specific instructions from school staff when using the iPads and/or internet services.
B. Prohibited Uses
Unacceptable uses of Computers and/or Computer Services include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Accessing or Communicating Inappropriate Materials - Students may not access, submit, post, publish, forward, download, scan or display defamatory, abusive, obscene, vulgar, sexually explicit, sexually suggestive, threatening, discriminatory, harassing, bullying and/or illegal materials, images (still or video) or messages.
2. Illegal Activities - Students may not use iPads and/or internet services for any illegal activity or in violation of any school policy/procedure or school rules. Wishing Well Schools assumes no responsibility for illegal activities of students while using iPads and/or internet services.
3. Downloading “Apps”
Students may not download apps onto the iPads distributed by the school. All apps downloaded onto the iPads will be done by school staff only. In the event school staff discover materials downloaded by a non-staff member on a student device, the device may be confiscated and the materials removed without student permission, even if it means the loss of student purchased material, and appropriate restrictions may be placed on the student’s future iPad use. The school staff also has the right to confiscate or search iPads at any time with or without cause as part of an effort to deter violations of these rules. This will be done regularly to ensure student safety and compliance with school rules.
4. Creating an Apple ID -
Students may not create a separate Apple ID for their iPad device. The Apple ID connected with the device is set up by the school and cannot be changed or altered in any way. Any attempt to create a new Apple ID may result in the student being unable to access the apps currently installed on the device and appropriate restrictions may be placed on the student’s future iPad use.
5. Plagiarism - Students may not represent as their own work any materials obtained on the Internet (such as essay, articles, music, etc). When Internet sources are used in student work, the author, publisher and web site must be identified.
6. Use for Non-School Purposes – Using school iPads, and/or Internet services for any personal reasons not connected with the Wishing Well educational program or school assignments is not permissible. Any personal use must be performed on a device not owned by the school at the discretion of the student’s family and may not be conducted on school property.
7. Misuse of Passwords/Unauthorized Access - Students may not share passwords, use other users’ passwords, access or use other users’ accounts, or attempt to circumvent the network security systems and/or computer services.
8. Malicious Use/Vandalism - Students may not engage in any malicious use, disruption or harm to iPads, and/or Internet Services, including but not limited to hacking activities and creation/uploading of computer viruses.
C. Compensation for Losses, Costs and/or Damages
The student and his/her parents are responsible for compensating Wishing Well Schools for any loss or damage incurred to the iPad during the term of the Acceptable User Policy. It is recommended by Wishing Well Schools that parents insure the iPad provided by the school using Apple Care+ for iPad found at: http://www.apple.com/ca/support/products/ipad.html for the length of time the student has the iPad in their possession up to 2 years. Parents who choose to not have their child’s iPad insured are still responsible for any loss or damage incurred to the iPad device for the length of time their child has the iPad in their possession. Parents should be aware that they are responsible for any costs associated with loss, theft or damage to an iPad issued to their child.
The student and his/her parents are responsible for compensating Wishing Well Schools for any losses, costs or damages incurred by the school for violations of policies/procedures and school rules while the student is using the iPad, including the cost of investigating such violations. The school assumes no responsibility for any unauthorized charges or costs incurred by a student while using the iPad. The student and his/her parents/guardians are similarly responsible if the student takes any action with an iPad that has the purpose or effect of voiding any warranty in effect covering such iPad.
D. Student Privacy and Safety
A student should exercise caution, in consultation with a parent or school staff member, before revealing his/her full name, e-mail address, physical address, telephone number, or other personal information on the Internet. Students should never agree to meet people they have contacted through the Internet without parental permission. Students should inform their teacher and/or parent if they access information or messages that are dangerous, inappropriate or make them uncomfortable in any way.
E. Insurance Program/Information Sharing/Care, Damage, Loss and Theft
1.iPad. iPads are loaned to students as an educational tool and may be used only for purposes specifically authorized by school staff.
2. AUP and Acknowledgement Forms: Both the student and his/her parent must sign an Acceptable User Policy, before an iPad is to be taken home.
3. iPad Loss or Theft and Loss or Theft Prevention. If an iPad is lost or stolen, the loss or theft must be reported to Mr. Cappelletti or Ms. Hobbs immediately. Additionally, if an iPad is stolen, a report should be made to the local police and Mr. Cappelletti or Ms. Hobbs immediately. Students must
keep activated at all times the service that allows the iPad to be located remotely and must keep activated at all times the school provided security code which will prevent others from accessing the content and services of the Computers.
G. Scope of Policy and Rules Application.
The School’s policy and rules concerning school iPad use apply at any time or place, on or off school property. Students are responsible for obeying any additional rules concerning care of their iPad.
H. Miscellaneous Issues.
1. Confiscation/Restriction of Privileges/Disciplinary Action. Violation of policies or rules governing the use of the iPad, or any careless use of their iPad, may result in a student’s iPad being confiscated and/or a student only being allowed to use the iPad under the direct supervision of school staff. The student will also be subject to disciplinary action for any violations of School policies/procedures or school rules.
2. Required Sharing of iPad Passwords with School Staff.
Any student to whom an iPad is issued must share with the school any passwords, codes, or keys to allow the staff unlimited access to any and all materials on the iPad. Failure to provide such access will result in confiscation or limitations placed on future use of the iPad and computer services (such as the revoking of internet use).
3. Parent Access to Student Computer Passwords.
Parents will have access to their child’s login password, codes, or keys. Parents are responsible for supervising their child’s use of the iPad and Internet access when in use at home.
4. Use of iPad by Others.
The student iPad may only be used by the student to whom it is issued or by any family members assisting them with their educational work and consistent with the educational purpose of these iPads. All use of iPads by all persons must comply with the school’s Student iPad and Internet Use Policy and Rules.
5. Return of iPads.
iPads must be returned in acceptable working order at the end of the school year or whenever requested by school staff. Students will also be required to turn in iPads before the end of the school
year, at which time they will be inventoried, updated as needed, and subjected to search for materials in violation of this policy.