Your child has indicated an interest the Upward Bound Program. Upward Bound (UB) is a FREE college preparatory program for high school students funded by a grant from the Department of Education and sponsored locally by LULAC National Educational Service Centers, Inc. UB is specifically designed to strengthen the academic skills of eligible high school students to excel academically and pursue postsecondary degrees after high school graduation.
Year-round services provided by UB include: Tutoring services during the school year to strengthen academic skills and prepare student for success at the college level
- A 6-week summer instructional component that is designed to simulate a college-going experience that includes daily coursework in English, math and science as well as other related activities such as field trips and special events
- Academic advising from UB staff and individual assistance with the college admissions and financial aid application process during the academic school year
- Saturday Academies once a month to educate students on various college, career, and life skills concepts
- College field trips and tours
In order to comply with federal regulations, all LNESC UB participants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a citizen of the U.S or permanent resident
- Indicate an interest in attending college
- Demonstrate academic need
- Qualify as low income and/or neither parent has graduated from college with a bachelor’s degree
- Commit to remain active in UB through high school graduation
Since March of 2020, LNESC Upward Bound has shifted high quality academic services via online and by phone. Please contact us if you have any questions regarding the application or need assistance completing it. We are here to help!
Oswaldo Camarena Gonzalez
LNESC Upward Bound Project Director