The building is being reviewed under the 2000 International Residential Code as amended by the City of West Liberty.
1. Smoke detectors are needed in all bedrooms, hallways leading to bedrooms as well as on each floor level. [R313]
2. Garage/house separation must be provided.[R309)
3. Enclosed under-stair's storage requires drywall protection on the storage side[R311.2.2]
4. The dwelling shall not be occupied until a permanent certificate of occupancy has been issued. A permanent certificate of occupancy will not be issued until all inspection issues have been resolved.
5. Radon control methods need to be provided as per Appendix F of the IRC. This includes, but is not limited to:
- A minimum 4" of clean aggregate or sand under the floor slabs;
- Minimum 6 mil plastic of minimum 4 mil cross-linked poly under the slabs;
- Sump pits must be sealed;
- Holes in the floors due to pipes, slab cracks and perimeter joints need to be sealed with polyurethane caulking or an equivalent sealant;
- Minimum 3" gas tight vent pipe from the under-floor aggregate to a height of at least 12" above the roof surface and which terminates at least 10' from any building openings. Pipes need to provide positive drainage to the under-slab aggregate. Future installation of a vent fan, including installation of an electrical circuit at the likely fan location, needs to be provided for. Anticipated locations of system failure alarms also need an electrical circuit provided.
6. Stairs may have a maximum 7 3/4" rise and must have a minimum 10" run. Neither rise nor run may vary more than 3/8" from most to least within the same stair flight. Stairs with 4 or more risers requirea conforming handrail. [R3aa]
7. An approved set of construction documents, including any plan review comments, needs to kept at the site of work and available to the building inspectors. [R106]
8. An opening of at least 100 square inches is needed for clothes dryer make-up air. Door undercuts and heating ductwork can contribute to this opening size.
9. Safety glazing is required in the following locations [R308];
- Tub enclosures
- Within 24" of a door's edge when in the closed position
- Within 5' of the top or bottom of stairs if also within 60" of a walking surface
- Within 18" of the floor if also greater than 9 square feet in glazing area
10. An attic access opening of minimum 20"x 30" is required in a corridor, hallway or other readily accessible location. It shall not be located in a closet, bathroom, mechanical room, laundry room or similar room or location. [R807.1 as amended]
11. Basements and every sleeping room need at least on conforming emergency escape and rescue opening. [R310 as amended]
12. Wood siding, sheathing and wall framing on the exterior of the building is required to have a clearance of not less than 6" from the ground.
13. Porches, balconies, or raised floor surfaces located more than 30 inches above the lower floor level or grade require guard protection. [R312]
14. Foam plastic insulation in crawl spaces and attics requires surface protection. [R314]
15. All interior and exterior stairways require illumination.
16. Bedroom electrical circuits will require arc-fault protection.
17. Porches and decks which are enclosed with insect screening shall be provided with guards where the walking surface is located more than 30 inches above the floor or grade below. [R312]
18. Bathroom exhaust fans must be vented directly to the outside. [R303.3]