Students seeking scholarships in the Department of Special Education & Communication Sciences and Disorders should complete this application form and submit it by February 8, 2023*.
• All scholarships require at least one reference/recommendation, which must come from a current faculty member in the Department of Special Education & Communication Sciences and Disorders. If you are applying for the Lowery Scholarship, three are required, at least one of which must be from a current faculty member in the Department.
You will be asked to provide name(s) and email address(es) for those people from whom you wish to receive a recommendation. Upon submitting this scholarship application, those people will be notified automatically, and asked to fill out a recommendation form. No other recommendation forms will be accepted.
• All scholarship applications further require a Personal/Professional Statement, which supports your application by describing the following:
— Your background
— Personal/professional goals
— Commitment to the field of special education
— Service to the college, university, and/or community:
* volunteer opportunities
* organization memberships
* leadership positions
* conference presentations
• It should be clear that your essay was written for the purpose of applying for departmental scholarships. For example, address the need for/planned use of any monies awarded.
• If you are applying for a scholarship based on financial need, please note that financial need is determined by having a FAFSA on file by the end of the first week of March.
• Please limit your essay to no more than three pages, double-spaced, using Times New Roman 12 pt. font. You will attach your essay, on a different page, before you submit this application.