The Internet Archive and the New York Art Resources Consortium (NYARC) are pleased to announce that we have received grants from the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) and the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) to form a cooperative entity of art and museum libraries that will jointly curate and promote the use of arts-related web collections. The cooperative entity of 20+ initial institutions, now called Collaborative ART Archive (CARTA), launched in August 2021 but we're seeking more participating institutions on a rolling basis. Please complete the following form if your institution would like to join us!
The primary activities, responsibilities, and outcomes of the project are listed below.
Member art and museum libraries will:
- Select topics and specific web content that is relevant to their expertise
- Provide metadata to facilitate access to archived content
- Participate in planning and evaluation meetings 1-2 times per quarter
- Curate a valuable reference resource that will enhance the art historical record of the 21st century
The Internet Archive will:
- Manage the capture and quality assurance of web content selected by members
- Coordinate communication amongst members
- Build and maintain an access portal to the collections
- Plan and hold two funded datathons to facilitate researcher use of these web collections