We respect your privacy. We protect your information.
PATIENT CONSENT FORM: FOR COLLECTION, USE AND DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
In an effort to respond to the privacy concerns of Canadians, the federal government enacted the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA). Effective January 1, 2004, PIPEDA establishes principles for the collection, use and disclosure of personal information in Canada. Wilk & Wilk Orthodontics supports PIPEDA and the provincial privacy laws. We understand the importance of protecting your personal information and are committed to collecting, using and disclosing your personal information responsibly. As a result, Wilk & Wilk Orthodontics has implemented a Privacy Code, which may be reviewed at any time, and a Privacy Information Officer: Dr. Brian E. Wilk.
All staff members who come in contact with your personal information are aware of the sensitive nature of the information that you have disclosed to us and are all trained in the appropriate uses and protection of your information.
If you have any questions about how your privacy is protected in our office, please feel free to ask.
How Our Office Collects, Uses and Discloses Patients’ Personal Information
Our office understands the importance of protecting your personal information. To help you understand how we are doing that, we have outlined here how our office is using and disclosing your information.
This office will collect, use and disclose information about you for the following purposes:
• to deliver safe, efficient and high quality patient care
• to assess your health needs and risks
• to advise you of treatment options
• to enable us to contact you and maintain communication with you
• to offer and provide treatment, care and services in relationship to the oral and maxillofacial complex and dental care generally
• to communicate with other treating health-care providers, including specialists and general dentists who are the referring dentists and/or peripheral dentists
• to allow us to efficiently follow-up for treatment, care and billing
• for teaching and demonstrating purposes on an anonymous basis
• to complete and submit dental claims for third party adjudication and payment
• to comply with legal and regulatory requirements, including the delivery of patients’ charts and records to the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario in a timely fashion, when required, according to the provisions of the Regulated
Health Professions Act
• to comply with agreements/undertakings entered into voluntarily by the member with the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario, including the delivery and/or review of patients’ charts and records to the College in a timely
fashion for regulatory and monitoring purposes
• to permit potential purchasers, practice brokers or advisors to evaluate the dental practice
• to deliver your charts and records to the dentist’s insurance carrier to enable the insurance company to assess liability
• to prepare materials for the Health Professions Appeal and Review Board (HPARB)
• to invoice for goods and services, process credit card payments and to collect unpaid accounts
• to assist this office to comply with all regulatory requirements
• to comply generally with the law
Your information may be accessed by regulatory authorities under the terms of the Regulated Health Professions Act (RHPA) for the purposes of the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario fulfilling its mandate under the RHPA, and for the defence of a legal issue.
You may withdraw your consent for use or disclosure of your personal information, and we will explain the ramifications of that decision, and the process.
I have reviewed the above information that explains how Wilk & Wilk Orthodontics will use my personal information, and the steps your office is taking to protect my information.
I know that your office has a Privacy Code that I can ask to see at any time, as well as a Privacy Information Officer.