Esperanza Hall Housing Exemption Form
Please read carefully and click the button below to continue.
Texas A&M University–San Antonio has a housing requirement stating that first-year students whose permanent address is more than 50 miles from campus live on campus at Esperanza Hall. Students under this distance requirement who wish to reside off-campus may be eligible to live off campus, provided one or more of the following criteria is met:
• The student will be 21 years of age on or before the 12th class day. Proof of age may be required.
• The student is enrolled in 6 hours or less (half-time or less) at Texas A&M University-San Antonio on census date.
• The student has earned 30 or more semester hours at Texas A&M University – San Antonio. An official transcript may be required.
• The student plans to commute from a permanent address of parents(s) or relative. The family member must live within 50 driving/highway miles. A relative is an immediate family member (mother/father, brother/sister, aunt/uncle, or grandparent). Proof of family relation and/or proof of residence may be requested. If a student resides beyond the 50 driving/highway miles, special consideration may be given on a case-by-case basis.
• The student or parent owns property in Bexar County. The student may be given an exemption to live at that address. Property is defined as a residence that is attached to real property. Proof of property and residence may be required.
• The student has custody of a child and can provide documentation if requested.
• The student is married prior to the 12th class day. Proof of marriage may be requested.
• The student has a valid medical condition or disability which cannot be accommodated on campus. Physicians’ documentation may be required.
• The student was granted housing waitlist status due to housing being at capacity.
Unless a student meets one or more of the above criteria, they will be expected to apply and reside at the on-campus location. If submitting an Exemption Request Form, please allow 21 business days for University officials to review and respond to the request. Students will receive communication from the Department of Housing stating whether the request for exemption has been approved or denied. Please note that submitting of an Exemption Form and supporting documents does not automatically qualify students to live off campus.
Students must be admitted to the University, submit an application for a lease contract, pay the $200 deposit, and secure an approved housing contract to guarantee a space in Esperanza Hall.