KSDS Assistance Dogs, Inc. Puppy Raiser Coordinator
Mission: To follow the job responsibilities to the highest degree of ethics and integrity to achieve the KSDS Assistance Dogs, Inc. mission of providing professionally trained guide, service, and facility dogs for people in need of a canine partner to enhance their independence, to fully function in society and/or to enrich their professional career responsibilities with the ongoing support of our trainers to ensure proficient working partnerships.
Supervision: Reports to the CEO who reports to the Board of Directors
General Job Responsibilities:
- Provide leadership in the evaluation and training of the dogs when they are with Puppy Raisers.
- Maintain accurate and confidential training records which enhance the standards and guidelines of KSDS Assistance Dogs, Inc. and Assistance Dogs International
- Remain current and updated on disability issues and ADA guidelines
- Be willing to travel on approved trips
- Participate in continuing education (CE) programs approved by the KSDS Assistance Dogs, Inc. Board of Directors and/or the CEO
- Sign a “Do not Compete” statement with KSDS Assistance Dogs, Inc.
- Understand the concept of providing quality services to KSDS Assistance Dogs, Inc’s clientele and their families including the importance of teamwork
- Agree to maintain a continuing commitment to confidentiality, courtesy and professionalism
Specific Job Responsibilities:
- Care of the puppies from 2 weeks until they are placed with puppy raisers, included but not limited to performing tactiles, completing Behavioral Check Lists, etc.
- Consult with the veterinarian(s) to decide on and implement special care of puppies when necessary from 2 weeks until they are placed with puppy raisers.
- Care for and determine the socialization schedule for the puppies until they are placed with puppy raisers
Ordering, creating, and distributing training materials and resources
- Recruit potential puppy raisers for KSDS Assistance Dogs, Inc.
- Process applications for potential puppy raisers including checking reference and maintain good records of such applications.
- Design and distribute monthly progress reports
Review monthly progress reports and communicate regularly with active puppy raisers
- Maintain an up-to-date puppy raiser directory and distribute this communication tool to puppy raisers, CEO, staff and Board of Directors.
- Provide puppy raiser information necessary for Assistance Dogs International accreditation team
Lead the puppy advisory board.
- Supervise and approve puppy raiser training activities including but not limited to Pup Days and Pups Retreat training.
- Work with the ABC breeding program including arranging for pups/dogs to fly in and out of Kansas. Also arrange for Globe Trotter groups to pick up and deliver puppies to the MCI airport in Kansa City.
- Organize and monitor all puppy in training turn ins and assessments
- Report to the Board of Directors monthly regarding the activities/meeting of the puppy raisers.
- Participate in weekend chore rotation and other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of assistance dog laws, rights, access rights and related information
- Applicable knowledge of canine behavior, training techniques, and disabilities
- Ability to address the public with tours, demonstrations, and other KSDS Assistance Dogs, Inc. events
- Excellent communication, organizational, and record-keeping skills
- Excellent human resources and supervisory skills
- Proficient computer and social media skills
Qualifications and Experience:
- Must possess a High School Diploma or equivalent degree. Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Must be current on CPR or Basic Life Support certification (Provided)
- Knowledgeable of animal husbandry
- Must have a valid driver’s license
Essential Physical Demands:
- Able to lift at least 50 pounds
- Able to drive during the day and night.
- Able to handle large dogs (60 to 90 pounds)
- Able to walk long distances
- Requires bending, stooping, climbing, reaching, walking, crawling and working in extreme weather conditions
- KSDS Assistance Dogs, Inc. recommends getting Tetanus and Hepatitis B vaccinations and we will pay for the cost of these shots (or you will need to sign a waiver thereof)