Athletes under 18 must have parental permission before applying.
The scholarship is for a period of four (4) months and our next intake commences on Saturday March 2, 2023.
The aim of our Youth Scholarship Program is to give back to the community and grow the sport of weightlifting in the Western Sydney/Hills area. We believe the best way to do this is by giving kids the opportunity to participate.
In this program, youth athletes will learn how to snatch and clean and jerk in addition to all of the accessory movements such as squats and deadlifts. Athletes will follow an individualised program to build strength and Olympic lifting foundations. To compliment their physical training, scholarship athletes will also complete our ‘Becoming Elite’ educational modules, that will equip them with knowledge and tools to help them transition to elite athletes.
We are looking for boys and girls aged between 14-20 who have a strong background in sport and regular training. No weightlifting experience is necessary but experience in CrossFit, weightlifting, gymnastics, cycling, football or other strength based sports is beneficial. Applicants must be interested in being a competitive weightlifter and training towards the goal of National Championships in 2024.
The successful applicant/s MUST commit to a minimum of 3 training sessions per week. Monday evening and Saturday morning are COMPULSORY sessions, and the 3rd session can be completed in any of our team training sessions, on your own at home or at your preferred gym. It is COMPULSORY to attend our ‘Becoming ‘Elite’ education seminars.
Scholarship athletes will receive:
- Three (3) training sessions per week FREE OF CHARGE.
- Coaching by AWF Level 3 Coaches Josh Wu and Maddi Wu who have both represented Australia multiple times.
- Our ‘Becoming Elite’ education program developed and presented by Josh Wu, Maddi Wu and 4x Olympian Melissa Wu, may include specialist guest presenters.
- Mentoring by our coaches who bring an approach to sports performance that is based not only on their knowledge as coaches, but also their experience as Australian Representative Athletes.
Scholarship athletes will be required to:
- Commit to minimum three (3) weightlifting training sessions per week as follows:
2x compulsory Youth Squad training sessions weekly
Mon 6-7:30pm &
1x session weekly TBD by coach and athlete
(can be completed in any of our team training sessions, or on your own at the gym)
Attend ALL education seminars (will be held roughly once per month immediately following the completion of training on Saturday morning)
- Register with NSW Weightlifting
- Approach the program with commitment, a positive attitude, and a good work ethic.
Applications are open to:
- Male and female athletes aged 14-20 years old.
- No weightlifting experience is necessary but a background in sport and regular training is preferable.
- Experience in sports such as football, CrossFit, gymnastics, powerlifting, or other strength based sports would be beneficial but not essential.
- Athletes with previous weightlifting experience.
- Athletes who have a desire to commit to a weightlifting training program and to compete at an elite level.
Failure to comply with the scholarship terms will result in termination of your position in the program.